This Creamy Chicken Fajita pasta recipe is bound to be loved by the whole family – tender chicken with sliced red onion and bell peppers in a creamy tomato sauce with a spicy kick!
Chicken Fajitas are a guaranteed crowd pleaser in my house and this chicken Fajita pasta bake has become a new favourite – it’s spicy, creamy and always goes down well with everyone.
I love creamy bakes such as this vegetable Gnocchi bake and my super popular meatball mozzarella pasta bake – both perfect for a satisfying family meal.
The creamy tomato sauce has a spicy kick from homemade Fajita seasoning. If you prefer a mild kick, you can tone the spices down a bit. Personally I add 2 tablespoons, but we like spicy food! For a milder flavour, I would stick to 1 tablespoon.
I make a big batch of the Fajita seasoning – it keeps really well and it’s really good spinkled over sweet potato wedges or roasted veggies.
I’ve made this 3 times in the last couple of weeks – it’s that good. Plus it’s ready in 30 minutes, making it ideal for a midweek meal.
how to make this chicken fajita pasta
(scroll to the bottom of this post to find Printable recipe)
- Fry diced chicken (I use either skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thigh fillets) in olive oil and Fajita seasoning mix until golden.
- Add Sliced onion and sliced bell peppers and fry on a low to medium heat.
- Add Tomato Passata to the pan along with sour cream. Add cooked drained pasta and give everything a good stir to combine.
- Transfer to a large gratin or casserole dish, sprinkle with grated cheese and pop under a hot grill for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- This pasta dish is so delicious you don’t really need to serve anything alongside it, but a simple green salad/and/or some Foccacia bread would be a nice idea.
I can confirm that this chicken fajita pasta is also rather nice cold the next day – making it ideal for lunchboxes!
Instead of using sour cream to make the sauce, I often use 0% Greek Yoghurt – you do have be careful in case it splits though, but as long as your heat source is on a low-medium heat it should be fine.
You can use Mozzarella or Gruyere cheese instead of Cheddar. Basically anything with a good melting quality will work.
You can use ready made Fajita spice mix if you wish – I just find it easier to make it myself – I always have all the individual spices in my cupboard anyway, so it makes sense.
make it vegetarian
The chicken can easily be substituted for Quorn fillets – please follow the cooking ingredients on the packet before adding to the sauce.
You can also substitute the chicken or Quorn for aubergine.
Make it vegan
As above, the chicken can be replaced with a vegan friendly Quorn product
Replace the sour cream, Greek Yoghurt and cheese with plant based alternatives.
I hope you love this spicy, creamy tomato based pasta bake – if you try it, leave a comment below! If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
looking for more pasta recipes?
Sweet Chilli pasta with smoked salmon and peas
did you make this recipe?
I really hope you enjoyed it! Let me know what you thought by leaving a comment below – and rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
Creamy Chicken Fajita Pasta
This Creamy Chicken Fajita pasta recipe is bound to be a hit with the whole family - tender chunks of chicken with red onion and bell peppers in a creamy tomato sauce with a spicy kick!
My Fajita Seasoning Recipe
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons mild chilli powder, or 1 teaspoon hot (or more if you like heat!)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional, for an extra kick)
- 500g Dried pasta (Fusilli or Penne works well here)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g chicken breasts or skinless boneless thighs, cut into small bite sized chunks
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 Yellow or Green Bell pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons Fajita seasoning mix (see notes for my own recipe)
- 300ml Tomato Passata
- 150ml Sour Cream or Greek Yoghurt
- 75g Grated Cheddar Cheese
- For the Fajita seasoning mix, measure out all the spices and herbs in a jar with a screw on lid. Place the lid on and give the jar a good shake to combine the spices.
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water for about 1 minute less than the packet states. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the chicken pieces. Sprinkle over the Fajita seasoning and saute the chicken for about 5 minutes until golden.
- Add the sliced onion and peppers and continue to cook for about 5-10 minutes until the onions and peppers have softened.
- Pour in the tomato passata and simmer on a low-medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the Grill. Add the drained pasta to the tomato/chicken/pepper mixture and stir well to combine. Stir in the sour cream and taste to see if you want to add any more Fajita seasoning.
- Pour the pasta into a gratin dish and cover with grated cheese. Grill for a few minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 189mgSodium: 638mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 57g
I am going to try this tonight, but already I can see some tweaks. I live in Kefalonia and have some village sausage, a bit like Chorizo, to use up as well, so will be adding some of that to the mix!
That sounds really good. Hope you enjoy it!
Well I did make this last night with the additional sausage!
It was delicious.
I halved the quantities as there are only 2 of us, however, there is tonnes left, so lunch today too!
The “extra” could be down to my useless – temporary – kitchen scales whilst I wait for mine to arrive from the UK, however, based on my usual method – “looks about right” – I don’t think the pasta was too far off.
Hi Paul, that’s great to hear! Thanks for trying – I’m really glad you enjoyed it. Haha, I have to admit my portions are often on the generous side – many of my recipes that serve 4 could probably stretch to 6!
Made this last night for dinner and it was absolutely first class thank you will definaely make it again 😊
Thank you for letting me know! I’m so pleased you like it 😊