Looking for the best ever fluffy American pancake recipe? Look no further! This foolproof recipe will give you perfect pancakes every single time.
A fair amount of people have been asking for my pancake recipe recently. This is the recipe I have been making for years with my boys.
Now my almost grown up (weeps!) eldest son makes them for his friends and I’m pretty sure a few of them have ended up asking for the recipe, which makes me proud and happy.
Now I’m not usually in the habit of saying recipes are “the best”, but I’m making an exception for these pancakes.
I do believe they are the best pancake recipe ever. Well, let’s just say they are the best I’ve ever tried! Plus my children say they are the best, so I’m going with it!
They are like the kind of pancakes I imagine are served in American diners – really thick, fluffy and they smell amazing. I can eat far too many of them than I care to admit!
I love these pancakes with blueberries (see my pancakes with blueberry and orange syrup) and maple or golden syrup.
My kids love Nutella – funnily enough they are also crazy for these Nutella stuffed pancakes -or simply spread with butter and strawberry jam.
Trust me….these fluffy American pancakes are the BEST way to start your weekend!
Just a quick note…if you have taken complete leave of your senses and find yourself hosting a sleepover for 6+ children you may want to double the recipe. I am speaking from experience!
want to see More pancake recipes?
Want to see more easy brunch recipes?….
Pin this recipe for later…
Did you make these pancakes? Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment and leaving a rating by clicking on the stars below.
- 250 g (2 Cups) self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 50 g (1/3 Cup) caster sugar
- 50 g (Scant 1/3 Cup) melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, optional but good
- Enough milk to make a thick-ish batter, I'm afraid I don't measure the milk so it's difficult for me to give a measurement, but I would say it's around 300ml (1/2 Pint) I just add a good splash and whisk, then add some more until I get the right consistency.
- Heat a girdle (griddle in America) or frying pan.
- Sift the flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and pour in the sugar, oil and vanilla. Beat well until the sugar has dissolved. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir. Add enough milk to make a thick batter.
- Your griddle or frying pan should now be nice and hot. Smear it with a little butter and drop in spoonfuls of the mixture (I use an American 1/4 cup.) When bubbles appear on the surface, flip over and cook for another minute or two.
you can use buttermilk in place of the milk, if you like.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 136 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 35mg Sodium: 325mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 5g