I absolutely love the look of these Christmas star sandwich cookies – you can go with any cutters that take your fancy but I think the stars are perfect for this time of year. A thick dusting of icing sugar makes them look so festive ?
Christmas star sandwich cookies
- 100 g soft butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225 g plain flour plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Raspberry or strawberry jam for the filling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4
- Cream the butter and sugar together until combined, then beat in the egg, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder and continue mixing until it all comes together to form a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes (it won't hurt at all to leave it for up to a day.)
- When you're ready to bake the cookies, sprinkle your work surface with flour, place the dough on it and sprinkle a little more flour on top. Roll out to a thickness of about 5mm.
- Cut into shapes of your choice - I used a 7cm round cutter and a 3cm star for the cut outs.
- Don't do what I did the first time I made these - I got carried away and cut stars out on all of my cookies, forgetting I needed half of them whole!! Oops! Place the shapes on a lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until quite firm and lightly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then carefully remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies have completely cooled, spread a little jam over each one of the whole cookies, then place the cookie with the star cut-out on top. Liberally dust with icing sugar.