I absolutely love the look of these Christmas star sandwich cookies – you can go with any cutters that take your fancy but I think the stars are perfect for this time of year. A thick dusting of icing sugar makes them look so festive ?
Christmas star sandwich cookies
These Christmas star sandwich jam filled cookies look so pretty and taste delicious - ring the changes by filling them with dulce de leche, lemon curd or Nutella instead of jam.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 13 minutes
Total Time 23 minutes
Servings 12 cookies
- 100 g soft butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225 g plain flour plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Raspberry or strawberry jam for the filling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4
- Cream the butter and sugar together until combined, then beat in the egg, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder and continue mixing until it all comes together to form a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for 20-30 minutes (it won't hurt at all to leave it for up to a day.)
- When you're ready to bake the cookies, sprinkle your work surface with flour, place the dough on it and sprinkle a little more flour on top. Roll out to a thickness of about 5mm.
- Cut into shapes of your choice - I used a 7cm round cutter and a 3cm star for the cut outs.
- Don't do what I did the first time I made these - I got carried away and cut stars out on all of my cookies, forgetting I needed half of them whole!! Oops! Place the shapes on a lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until quite firm and lightly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then carefully remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies have completely cooled, spread a little jam over each one of the whole cookies, then place the cookie with the star cut-out on top. Liberally dust with icing sugar.