Last minute chocolate cherry mincemeat
This brandied chocolate cherry studded mincemeat is a delicious twist on the traditional recipe.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 2 jars
- 2 large bramley apples peeled and chopped into 2cm dice
- 300 g soft dark brown sugar
- 350 g raisins
- 125 g dried figs chopped
- 100 g glacé cherries cut in half
- 100 g dried cherries
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 250 ml ale or fruity cider I used cherry ale
- Grated zest and juice of one lemon
- Grated zest and juice of one small orange
- 50 g very cold butter, grated
- 4-5 tbsp cherry brandy
Place the ale or cider and sugar in a large saucepan and heat gently.
Add the apples to the pan. Stir well.
Add all the other ingredients, apart from the cherry brandy. Simmer for about 30 minutes until the mixture is soft, pulpy and...well, turned into mincemeat!
Remove from the heat and set aside for about 10 minutes. Stir in the cherry brandy and transfer to your sterilsed jars.
This mincemeat can be used immediately but will keep very well unopened in a cool, dark place.