Quick Thai red prawn and spinach curry
Who needs an expensive takeaway when you can get dinner on the table in just 20 minutes with this spicy red Thai prawn and spinach curry!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped into small dice
- 1-2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stalk bruised (I bash it with the end of a rolling pin)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar - Demerara or light brown
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 250 g pumpkin or butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes
- 400 g cooked peeled king prawns thawed if frozen
- 125 g fresh spinach
- Fresh coriander optional
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion to the pan, stirring for a few minutes. Add the curry paste and bashed lemongrass stalk and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the pumpkin or butternut squash cubes to the pan along with 200ml of the coconut milk, the sugar, the fish sauce and a splash of water. Cook on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the pumpkin cubes have softened. Add the remaining 200ml coconut milk and stir to mix.
Tip in the prawns and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. Add the fresh spinach during the last minute of cooking, stirring until the spinach has wilted.
Remove from the heat and remove the lemongrass stalk. Sprinkle with the fresh coriander if using and serve immediately with rice, Naan breads and poppadoms, if desired.