This Bramley Apple and Custard Cake is simple but so delicious! A fluffy vanilla sponge with a layer of custard baked in the middle of the cake for a tasty surprise.
It’s a perfect cake to make in the Autumn when cooking apples are in abundance.
This apple and custard cake is one of those bakes that doesn’t really look that exciting, but the taste absolutely makes up for it.
The vanilla scented cake is light and fluffy, topped with sliced apples and topped with crunchy demerara sugar. But my favourite thing about this cake is most definitely the layer of custard in the middle.
how to make this bramley apple and custard cake
(Ingredient amounts and detailed instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
The first thing you need to do is make the custard. you will need:
- Custard Powder – I used Birds
Once you’ve made the custard, leave it to cool slightly while you make the cake batter. Here’s a list of ingredients you’ll need to make the cake:
- Soft Butter
- Caster Sugar
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
- Bramley Apples, peeled cored and sliced
- Demerara Sugar, for sprinkling over the top of the cake
- Place half of the cake batter in a greased and lined 20cm tin, then spoon the custard on top of the cake batter. Using a spoon, spread the custard out.
- Top with the rest of the cake batter. The batter is quite thick, so you will need to be quite careful not to disturb the custard layer. I tend to dollop the batter over in spoonfuls, then spread it out as evenly as I can.
- Top the the sliced apples and sprinkle with demerara sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cake is shrinking back from the sides of the tin and springs back when lightly pressed.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
how to serve this apple cake
This cake is best served warm, when the custard is still a little gooey. It’s also lovely served with double cream or ice cream!
more apple bakes…
Did you make this apple and custard cake? Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment below and if you would rate the recipe out of 5 by clicking on the stars in the recipe card, I’d really appreciate it. Thank you!
This gorgeous Bramley Apple and Custard Cake has a layer of custard baked in the middle of the cake. It's perfect for an afternoon tea or for a comforting pudding.
- For the Custard
- 2 Tablespoons custard powder
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 250ML Milk
- 20G Butter
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- For the Cake:
- 200g Soft Butter
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 200G Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 40g Custard Powder
- 1-2 Tbsp Milk
- 1-2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin wedges
- Demerara Sugar for sprinkling over the top of the cake
- Grease and line the bottom of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Make the custard. In a saucepan, stir together the custard powder and sugar. Whisk in the milk a little at a time, stirring until smooth. Place on a low to medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the custard has thickened. Remove from the heat, pour into a heatproof bowl and let it cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F. Grease and line the bottom of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and custard powder.
- Slow add the beaten egg, a little at a time to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Sift over the dry ingredients and fold in lightly. Fold in 1 tablespoon of milk. The batter should be soft and fall easily from a spoon. If it seems a little stiff, add 1 more tablespoon of milk.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the lined tin. Spoon over the cold custard, making sure you have an even covering. Carefully spoon the rest of the cake batter on top of the custard layer.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the cake batter. Sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake emerges clean.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 264mgCarbohydrates: 38gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 4g