Recently my sister gave me some beautiful pink rhubarb from her garden and I had originally planned to make a cake, but I really fancied making a fruit crisp for a change.
A crisp is basically an American fruit crumble. They often include oats in the recipe which I’m a big fan of – I love using oats in baking and they work particularly well in this recipe.
The topping is SO good, the little crystallised ginger pieces work so well here. If you are a fan of the rhubarb ginger combination you are going to love this recipe!
This rhubarb pudding would be delicious with vanilla ice cream, thick double cream, clotted cream or custard, but I can also confirm that it is rather nice cold. I ate a bowl of this for breakfast today with a dollop of Rachel’s Organic ginger yoghurt. It wasn’t a bad way to start the day at all!
Looking for recipes to use up that glut of Rhubarb? Here’s some more ideas…
Want to see more fruity puddings?…
Pin this recipe for later
- 600g Rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- 75g vanilla caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 100g porridge oats
- 125g light brown sugar
- 125g cold butter, diced
- 1-1/2 tsp dried ginger, if you aren't as much of a ginger fiend as I am cut it back to 1 tsp
- 50g crystallised ginger, chopped finely (again, if you don't want a big ginger hit cut it back to 25g)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C.
- Place the chopped rhubarb in a large ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the vanilla sugar. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the rhubarb is slightly tender.
- Place the flour, oats and sugar in a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the dried and crystallised ginger. Tip this mixture over the rhubarb and press down lightly, making sure the rhubarb is evenly covered.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filing is bubbling and the topping is nicely crisped up and starting to brown around the edges.
- Serve with custard, cream, ice cream or clotted cream.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 557Total Fat 27gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 69mgSodium 231mgCarbohydrates 66gFiber 4gSugar 36gProtein 6g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.