Soft, fluffy apples coated in a toffee sauce and topped with a buttery, crunchy, oaty crumble. This Toffee Apple Crumble is the perfect cosy Winter pudding! Serve warm with ice cream or custard.
I am all about cosy comfort food at this time of year! I’m talking about hearty, warming foods like stews, hot soups, pies and fruit crumbles.
This toffee apple crumble definitely falls into that category. Soft and fluffy apples drizzled with a luscious toffee sauce, topped with a buttery oat crumble. Are you in? Let’s do this!
ingredients you’ll need to make a toffee apple crumble
for the toffee sauce:
- Golden Syrup
- Soft Light Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Double Cream
For the crumble topping:
- Plain Flour
- Rolled Oats
- Cold Butter, cut into cubes
- Demerara Sugar
for the apple filling:
- Cooking Apples such as Bramleys
- Eating Apples like Galas, Braeburns or Pink Lady
- Golden Caster Sugar or Soft light brown sugar
- Finely grated zest of one Lemon
- Ground Cinnamon – I love the pairing of apple and cinnamon. If you aren’t keen, you can leave it out.
how to make a toffee apple crumble
- First of all you need to make the toffee sauce. I often make the sauce a day or two in advance or sometimes even longer – it keeps very well in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Simply place all the ingredients for the sauce in a large saucepan over a low to medium heat. Alllow the mixture to melt, stirring occasionally, Let it simmer for a few minutes before removing from the heat and cooling to room temperature. If you’re making the sauce in advance, let it go cold before placing in the fridge.
- Make the Crumble topping by placing flour, oats and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Rub in cold, diced butter until the mixture is pebbly. Stir in Demerara Sugar.
- Place the apple slices in a large saucepan with caster sugar or light brown sugar, lemon zest and ground cinnamon. Cook over a low to medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and the apples are beginning to soften.
- Tip the apples into a large pie dish and drizzle over the toffee sauce. Scatter over the crumble and bake at 180C/160Fan/350F for 30-40 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve the crumble warm with custard or ice cream.
I’ve been known to eat cold crumble leftovers for breakfast. I highly recommend it!
Want to see more cosy puddings and desserts?
Looking for more apple bakes?
- FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE:
- 75g Golden Syrup
- 75g Soft Light Brown Sugar
- 50g Butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 60ml Double Cream
- 500g Cooking Apples, such as Bramleys, peeled, cored and sliced
- 500G Eating Apples such as Galas, Braeburns or Pink Lady, peeled, cored and sliced
- 150G Golden Caster Sugar or Soft Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (optional)
- 4-5 Tablespoons of the Cooled Toffee Sauce
- FOR THE CRUMBLE:
- 225g Plain Flour
- A pinch of salt
- 150G Cold Diced Butter
- 75G Rolled Oats
- 75G Demerara Sugar
- Make the Toffee Sauce first (I often make this a day or two in advance) by placing all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmering on a low to medium heat until everything has melted together and you have a smooth sauce Remove from the heat and pour into a heatproof jug.
- To make the crumble, place the flour, oats and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Rub in the cold diced butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the demerara sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4. Place the apples in a large saucepan and set over a low heat. Add the sugar and ground cinnamon if using and cook the apples for about 5 minutes or until they are just beginning to soften. The cooking apples will start to cook down and turn a little pulpy, but that's exactly how you want them. When the apples have started to soften and the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and pour the apples into a large pie dish.
- Spoon over the cooled caramel sauce and top with the crumble, spreading it evenly over the apples. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve warm with the extra caramel sauce and ice cream.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 630Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 66mgSodium 267mgCarbohydrates 99gFiber 6gSugar 62gProtein 5g