This fabulous Apple and Blackberry Cake is a perfect cake for Autumn – tender, fluffy apple sponges filled with berry jam and a zingy blackberry buttercream!
This gorgeous apple and blackberry cake is perfect for this time of year when fresh apples and blackberries are in abundance!
I’ve taken my apple crumble cake recipe and added fresh blackberries to the sponge, filled them with mixed berry jam and a really delicious blackberry buttercream.
The sponges are really soft and fluffy, which means they are quite fragile – so take care when you’re assembling the cake as they are quite easy to break.
ingredients you’ll need to make this apple and blackberry cake
- soft butter
- caster sugar
- eggs – 4 large
- self raising flour
- baking powder for extra lift since this is an all in one recipe
- a little salt to bring out the flavours
- vanilla extract
- peeled and chopped eating apples – any kind will do (I used Braeburns)
- Fresh blackberries
for the quick blackbery jam (FOR THE BUTTERCREAM)
- Fresh blackberries
- caster sugar
- of course, you could use a jar of blackberry jam instead to save time!
for the blackberry buttercream:
- Icing sugar
- Soft unsalted butter
- vanilla extract
- blackberry jam (you’ll find instructions on how to make this in the recipe card – or use a jar)
- For an extra fruity twist, I’ve added some blackberry cordial (fruit squash) to the buttercream – you don’t need much, but it really enhances the flavours.
tips on how to make this apple and blackberry cake
- As with all cakes, don’t overmix the batter or the cake could turn out rubbery. Stop mixing as soon as you have a smooth, even batter.
- I didn’t have enough blackberries to make a large enough quantity of the quick jam to sandwich the cakes together AND make the buttercream, but if you have lots of blackberries to use up, you could double the recipe so you don’t have to buy a jar of jam to sandwich the sponges together.
want to see more cakes?
Double apple caramel Bundt Cake
Bramley apple and custard cake
looking for more recipes to use up a glut of apples?
Apple and blackberry flapjacks
Salted caramel apple cinnamon scones
buttermilk waffles with vanilla apples
did you make this RECIPE?
If you made this cake, I would love to hear from you! Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment below and rate the recipe out of 5 by clicking on the stars in the recipe card below.
Any more questions?
If you need any help with the recipe, please let me know by either leaving a comment below or getting in touch via my social media channels.
Apple and Blackberry Cake
This fabulous Apple and Blackberry Cake is a perfect cake for Autumn - tender, fluffy apple sponges filled with berry jam and a zingy blackberry buttercream!
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 250g soft butter
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g eating apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 3-4 cm pieces
- 100g fresh blackberries
- FOR THE QUICK BLACKBERRY JAM
- 150g fresh blackberries
- 50g caster sugar
- FOR THE BLACKBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- 500g Icing sugar, sifted
- 250g Soft Unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp of the quick blackberry jam
- 1/2 tsp blackberry cordial or squash (undiluted)
- about 1/4 of a jar of blackberry jam**See Notes below**
- Fresh Blackberries to decorate the top of the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base of two 20cm round cake tins.
- In a large bowl, beat the flour, baking powder, salt, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract together until light, fluffy and smooth. This should take about 2 minutes using an electric mixture.
- Fold the diced apples and fresh blackberries into the cake batter, taking care not to crush the blackberries too much.
- Pour the batter into the lined cake tins and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the sponges are risen, golden and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the quick blackberry "Jam" for the buttercream. Place the 150g blackberries and the 50g caster sugar in a small pan over a medium heat until the berries have completely softed, the sugar has dissolved and a have a thick jam. Take off the heat and leave to cool down a little before pressing through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- To make the buttercream, cream the butter and icing sugar together until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes on high speed if using an electric mixer. Add the vanilla, cold blackberry jam and 1/4 tsp of the blackberry cordial or squash and continue to mix until the buttercream is smooth and fluffy. At this stage taste the buttercream to see if you want to add more cordial, but it's quite strong so you shouldn't need much more.
- To assemble the cake, sandwich the sponges together with the remaining blackberry jam (I didn't quite have enough left over so I added some shop bought jam as well) and just under half of the blackberry buttercream. Ice the top of the cake with the remaining buttercream and top with fresh blackberries.
I didn't have enough blackberries to make a large enough quantity of jam to sandwich the cakes together and make the buttercream, but if you have lots of blackberries to use up, you could double the recipe so you don't have to buy a jar of jam.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 744Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 567mgCarbohydrates: 100gFiber: 2gSugar: 79gProtein: 5g
Calories and Nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be used as indicative figures only.
Wow. What a really gorgeous cake! I am pinning this apple and blackberry cake recipe to try soon.
That’s so kind, thank you so much!