You can’t beat a slice of classic carrot cake. Packed full of grated carrots, chopped nuts and orange zest, this easy carrot cake recipe is delicious, moist and full of flavour. An easy one bowl recipe that you will turn to time and time again.
Carrot cake is one of the select few cakes that I can simply not resist.
Put a slice in front of me and it will be gone before you have time to blink. I absolutely love it. This is why I hardly ever make it!
Why should i make this carrot cake recipe?
- It’s an incredibly quick and easy one bowl recipe.
- You don’t need any fancy equipment either – just a bowl, a wooden spoon and a grater for the carrots! Obviously you can use an electric hand mixer if you prefer.
- Several of my friends and family members have made this cake and they all love it.
Do i need to peel the Carrots?
No, it’s not necessary to peel the carrots. I just give them a good wash and a scrub.
Can I make this carrot cake as a layer cake?
Yes, you can bake this cake in two 20cm round tins instead – they will take around 35-40 minutes to bake. When the sponges are cold, sandwich them together with the cream cheese icing, remembering to leave some for the top of the cake.
tips for making this easy carrot cake
- This is a very easy recipe – all you need to make it is a large bowl and a wooden spoon (although you could use an electric hand mixer if you like)
- There is no creaming butter and sugar in this recipe – you simply place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix. Too easy!
- Take care not to over mix the batter – stop as soon as the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- This is a fairly deep cake and takes a while to bake (60-75 minutes)
- If the top of the cake looks like it’s browning too quickly while baking, cover the top with a layer of tin foil.
I’m allergic to nuts. Can I leave them out?
Yes! Omitting the nuts will not affect the recipe. You can simply leave them out or add an extra 25g Sultanas if you like.
How long does carrot cake keep?
An uniced carrot cake will keep for up to 5 days, although it will start to become a little drier after day 3. The Iced cake should be kept refrigerated because of the cream cheese. It will keep for up to 3 days.
Can i freeze carrot Cake?
Yes. Wrap the whole (uniced) cake in a layer of baking parchment and tightly wrap in cling film before freezing for up to 3 months. Defrost the cake thoroughly before icing and serving.
Looking for more delicious, easy cake recipes?
- 200g Carrots, scrubbed and grated
- 250ml Sunflower or other flavourless oil
- 4 Large Eggs
- 225g soft light brown sugar
- 100g raisins or sultanas
- 100g chopped walnuts or pecans
- Finely grated zest of one large orange
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 325g self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
For the topping:
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g full fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- finely grated zest of one small orange (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350f./gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a deep 20cm (with a depth of at least 3 inches) round cake tin.
- Place all the ingredients for the cake into a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric whisk until well combined. Pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake for 60-75 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly pressed, the sides are shrinking away from the edges of the tin and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake emerges clean.
- Leave the cake in the tin for around 30 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and leaving to cool completely.
- When the cake is completely cold, make the topping. Sift the icing sugar into a medium bowl and add the cream cheese and orange zest if using. Using a wooden spoon, beat until just combined and smooth, keeping in mind that the longer you beat cream cheese icing, the runnier it gets.
- Spread the icing over the cold cake and decorate with walnut halves if desired.
You could add pistachios instead of walnuts or pecans.
Feel free to omit the sultanas if you aren't a fan of them.
The cake will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in a cool room or fridge.
If you want to freeze the cake, do not ice it first. Wrap the cake in a layer of baking paper and cling film and freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 434mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 3gSugar: 32gProtein: 8g