Lemon drizzle is one of my all time favourite cakes.
There is just something about that crunchy sugar lemony topping that I find completely irresistible. Even more so than chocolate. Really!
When I discovered I didn’t even have my lemon drizzle cake recipe on my blog, I knew I had to sort that out immediately. Shocking behaviour!
If you love lemon desserts, then this recipe is for you.
This cake packs a real citrus punch with no less than 3 lemon ingredients. They are….
Lemon Extract (you don’t have to add this but it makes the cake super lemony)
Lemon Curd (for which I have a great easy microwave recipe right here)
This cake uses the all in one method, so it’s extremely simple and hassle free to make.
What is the all in one method?
All in one basically means all the cake ingredients are mixed together in the same bowl – no creaming necessary.
It also means less washing up, which is always a bonus!
My tips for making the best lemon drizzle cake…
Make sure the butter is very soft – if you use butter straight from the fridge the mixture will never be smooth, no matter how much you mix it.
I rub the lemon zest into the sugar before adding the rest of the ingredients. This releases the citrus oils and gives the sugar extra flavour.
Be sure to warm the drizzle over the cake when the cake is still hot.
I pierce the cake all over with a long skewer and go all the way down to the bottom. The more drizzle the cake soaks up, the better!
You can leave the cake with a crunchy sugar topping or you can gild the lily even further by adding an icing drizzle.
I’ll leave that up to you – either way it’s delicious!
Want to see more easy cake recipes? Check these out…
pin this recipe for later…..
- 200 g Caster (Super Fine) Sugar
- Finely Grated Zest of Two Lemons
- 200 g Soft Butter or Baking Spread
- 3 Large Eggs, Beaten
- 200 g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp Lemon Curd
FOR THE DRIZZLE
- 80 g Granulated Sugar
- Juice of One and a half Lemons
FOR THE ICING (OPTIONAL)
- 100 g Icing Sugar
- Juice of half a Lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F.
- Grease and Line the base and sides of a 900G (2lb) Loaf Tin.
- Place the caster sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the grated lemon zest and rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is damp and fragrant.
- Add the butter, eggs, self raising flour, baking powder, lemon extract if using and lemon curd.
- Using a hand/stand mixer, beat the mixture for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until well risen and golden on the top. A skewer inserted in the middle of the cake should emerge clean.
- While the cake is in the oven, mix together the 80g granulated sugar and lemon juice for the drizzle.
- As soon as you remove the cake from the oven, take a skewer and insert little holes all over the top of the cake, going all the way to the bottom of the cake.
- Slowly pour the drizzle all over the cake, making sure every area of the cake gets a good amount of drizzle. Leave to cool completely before turning out of the tin.
- If you're icing the cake, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until you have a smooth icing. You might need to add a few drops of water if the icing is too thick.
- Pour the icing over the top of the cake, letting the icing drizzle down the sides.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 431 Total Fat 19g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 6g Cholesterol 104mg Sodium 475mg Carbohydrates 64g Fiber 2g Sugar 46g Protein 5g