A buttery, moist almond sponge topped with juicy, ruby red plums and a crunchy amaretti crumble, this Plum Amaretti crumble cake is equally good with a cup of tea or as an easy pudding with lashings of custard!
One of my favourite things about Autumn is all of the seasonal fruit around this time of year – apples, figs, pears and plums are all perfect for homely, cosy baking.
You know the kind I mean – a cake that could be served alongside a cup of coffee or tea on a rainy afternoon or for pudding, with lashings of custard.
This plum amaretti crumble cake is that kind of bake. The sponge is really moist with the addition of Greek yoghurt and ground almonds, topped with ripe juicy plums and finished off with a layer of buttery amaretti crumble.
The crunchy amaretti biscuits really add a special touch and if you’re an almond fan, you’ll find it hard to stop eating the crumble. It’s pretty addictive!
how to make a plum amaretti crumble cake
To make this cake you will need:
(Ingredient amounts and detailed instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
FOR THE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- Cold Butter, Plain Flour, Brown Sugar, Crushed Amaretti Biscuits, Ground Cinnamon and a pinch of Salt
for the cake:
- Soft Butter
- Caster (Super Fine) Sugar
- Large Eggs
- Self Raising Flour
- Baking Powder
- Almond Extract
- Vanilla Extract
- Full Fat Greek Yoghurt
- Ground Almonds
- 5-6 Ripe but firm fresh plums
First of all, make the crumble topping by placing the flour, cinnamon, sugar and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Rub in the cold diced butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the crushed Amaretti biscuits.
Beat all of the ingredients for the cake together in a large bowl until you have a smooth batter. Pour the batter into a greased and lined 20cm cake tin. Level the top, then arrange halved plums, cut side up, on top of the cake. Scatter the Amaretti crumble on top of the cake.
Bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 15 minutes or unti the top of the cake is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
how will i know when the cake has fully baked?
The edges of the cake should be pulling away slightly from the edges of the tin
The cake should spring back when lightly pressed in the centre – if it’s not doing this, it needs more time.
If the crumble topping is getting a little too brown before the cake has fully baked, cover with a tent of tin foil.
Pin this plum amaretti crumble cake for later...
want to see more easy fruity cake recipes? Check these out….
Did you make this Plum Amaretti Crumble Cake? I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram #sweetsavouryblog
- 175 g soft butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 Large eggs
- 225 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 g ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g Greek yoghurt
- 6-7 ripe plums, depending on size - mine were pretty small so you might need less
Amaretti crumble topping
- 50 g cold butter
- 50 g demerara sugar
- 50 g ground almonds
- pinch of salt
- 50 g plain flour
- 50 g crushed amaretti biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a 22cm cake tin and baking paper.
- Make the crumble topping first - place the sugar, pinch of salt,, ground almonds and plain flour in a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Crush the amaretti biscuits in random sized pieces and stir them through the crumble mixture.
- For the cake, place the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, almond extract, vanilla, ground almonds and Greek yoghurt in a large bowl. Beat the ingredients together until the batter is smooth.
- Tip the batter into the tin and level the top. Arrange the plums cut side up over the batter, then scatter over the crumble.
- Bake for 1 hour or until well risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack. Lovely with either cream or custard, or both!
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 Serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 441Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 87mgSodium 511mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 3gSugar 26gProtein 8g