This simple coconut and raspberry jam loaf cake is an old fashioned recipe that is so easy to make yet so lovely. A tender coconut loaf cake spread with raspberry jam and topped with lots of dessicated coconut!
This particular recipe is actually the very first cake I ever made. Yep, the very first!
It came from the Hamlyn book of cakes and baking, an extensive baking book that had a picture alongside every recipe.
It’s a very easy cake to make – it uses the all in one method which simply requires you to place all the ingredients in the bowl and beat them together for a couple of minutes – very low maintenance!
The raspberry jam topping is my nod to the retro school dinner pudding that was a favourite of many, the square slab of sponge covered with jam, coconut and served with lashings of custard.
My tips for making the perfect coconut and raspberry jam loaf cake…
Use good quality raspberry jam. Homemade jam is pretty hard to beat, but there are a few lovely brands out there.
Start checking the cake after 40 minutes.
Be generous with the coconut topping!
Want to see more recipes for old fashioned, simple baking?
Pin this coconut and raspberry jam cake for later..
Did you make this coconut and raspberry jam cake?
Leave a comment/rating and let me know what you thought!
Make this cake? I would love to see! tag me on Instagram #sweetsavouryblog and I’ll share your photo on my stories!
Happy baking X
Coconut and raspberry jam loaf cake
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tbsp milk
- 100 g caster sugar
- 75 g dessicated coconut
- 180 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 100 g very soft butter
- About one third jar raspberry jam
- Dessicated coconut for sprinkling over the top
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Butter and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Place all the ingredients apart from the raspberry jam in a large mixing bowl and mix well for 2 minutes until you have a smooth, even batter.
- Pour the batter into the lined tin and level the surface. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool completely.
- When the cake is cold, spread with the raspberry jam and sprinkle with dessicated coconut.