This lemon drizzle traybake recipe is very quick and easy to make. This moist lemon sponge drenched in a sweet lemon syrup is the perfect partner to a cup of tea.
Traybake style bakes are always a great option – they are easy to make and transport, making them perfect for last minute (as these things always are, aren’t they?) bake sales and parties.
why you’ll love this lemon drizzle traybake recipe
- This recipe uses the “all in one” method. You simply mix all the ingredients together in the same bowl. Being a busy Mum, I’m a big fan of this method – this Victoria sponge recipe is also made in one bowl.
- The sponge cake is so light and fluffy – I used the base recipe of this ever popular School dinner cake.
(This is just a quick shopping list – you’ll find the ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!)
- soft butter or baking margarine – I swear by Stork for sponge cakes.
- caster sugar. Granulated sugar will also work in a pinch.
- grated zest and juice of two large lemons. You’ll need two tablespoons of the juice for the cake and the rest for the drizzle.
- Five large eggs
- self raising flour.
- Since this recipe uses the one bowl method, you’ll need some baking powder. It will make the sponge extra light and soft.
- granulated sugar (to mix with the lemon juice) for the drizzle
step by step method
- Grease and line a 9×13 (33x23x5cm) baking tin with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas mark 4.
- It couldn’t be easier to make this cake. Simply place all the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of a free standing electric mixer) and beat everything together for about two minutes or until you have a well combined batter that should drop easily from a spoon.
- Spoon the cake batter into the prepared tin. Level the surface, place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- when the cake is ready, it will be golden, risen and the edges will start to shrink from the edges of the tin.
- While the cake is in the oven, place the granulated sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and stir together.
- As soon as the cake is ready, remove from the oven and pierce all over the surface of the cake with a skewer or similar implement.
- Spoon the drizzle evenly all over the cake, making sure you cover the whole surface. Allow the cake to cool in the tin completely before cutting into slices.
storing lemon drizzle traybake
Store the traybake at room temperature in an airtight tin. It will keep for up to 4-5 days. The cake can also be frozen for up to three months.
more lemon dessserts to try
did you make this recipe?
I really hope you love it! Let me know by leaving a comment below or if you have any questions about the recipe, please just ask. Don’t forget to rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card!
- 300g soft butter or baking margarine (I use Stork)
- 300g caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- finely grated zest of two large lemons
- juice of half a lemon (approximately two tablespoons)
- 300g self raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of fine salt
- FOR THE DRIZZLE
- 150g granulated sugar
- juice of one and a half lemons
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas mark 4. Butter and line a 9x13 inch baking pan with baking paper.
- Place the butter, caster sugar, eggs, lemon zest and juice, self raising flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat all the ingredients together for about 2 minutes or until you have a smooth, well combined batter, scraping the bowl down with a plastic spatula about halfway through.
- Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the cake is well risen, golden and springs back when pressed in the middle. While the cake is in the oven, place the granulated sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and mix together.
- Remove from the oven and using a skewer, immediately pierce little holes all over the surface of the cake. Pour the drizzle all over the cake, allowing the holes to soak up the syrup. Allow the cake to cool in the tin completely before cutting into squares.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 454mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.