Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are such a fun Summer bake! Vanilla cupcakes baked inside ice cream cones, topped with a “Mr Whippy” style vanilla buttercream icing and topped with a “99” chocolate flake and sprinkles.
Children will absolutely love these cute cupcakes – they look just like they came straight from the ice cream van!
This recipe has been hiding in the deep archives of this blog for many years now. I decided it was about time I gave the post a well deserved makeover.
I put off making these cupcakes for the longest time. I thought my kids were far too grown up for them, but I was proved wrong about that! They absolutely loved them. I guess you’re never to old for a cupcake disguised as an ice cream!
I should have known better – after all, they still love my Halloween spooky spider cookies!
how do you make cupcakes in a cone?
It’s super simple. You’ll need a cupcake tin – if you use a normal baking sheet, the cones will likely fall over. Simply place the cones in your tin and fill them with the cupcake batter.
Just one obvious but crucial thing – the cones must be flat bottomed so they sit upright!
Do ice cream cones burn in the oven?
In my experience, no! But if you are at all concerned about the cones burning, you can wrap them in tin foil before baking.
tips for making ice cream cone cupcakes
- Don’t over fill the ice cream cones – about 3/4 full is perfect. If you fill them right to the top, the batter will rise over the top of the cone and make a right old mess.
- If you don’t want to make vanilla cupcakes, you can use any flavour you like! Chocolate, strawberry or even banana cupcakes would be delicious. Why not try experimenting with different flavour combinations?
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, I like to trim the tops with a sharp knife. This will give you a flat surface for the buttercream.
how to decorate ice cream cone cupcakes
I love to top the cupcakes with a “Mr Whippy” style swirl of vanilla buttercream icing, but you could also try using cream cheese icing instead.
When it comes to decorating these ice cream cupcakes, I think multicoloured sprinkles are an absolute must. They wouldn’t be complete without a Cadbury’s chocolate flake – just like a 99 cone! A maraschino cherry on top also looks really cool.
more Summer cupcake recipes to try
did you make this recipe?
I really hope you loved it! Let me know what you thought by leaving a comment below – and rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card. If you have any questions, ask away!
- 12 flat bottomed ice cream cones
- 180g soft butter
- 180g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 180g self raising flour
- FOR THE BUTTERCREAM ICING:
- 200g soft unsalted butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or bean paste
- FOR THE DECORATION:
- 12 Mini chocolate flake bars or Marachino cherries
- Coloured sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas mark 4. Place the ice cream cones in a 12 hole cupcake tin.
- To make the cupcake batter, cream the soft butter and caster sugar together until very light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. Beat in the vanilla extract, then crack the eggs into a jug and give them a little whisk. Gradually beat in the eggs, a little at a time, making sure they are well incorporated. The batter should be smooth.
- Sift the flour over the batter and fold it in gently, taking care not to overbeat. Spoon the batter into the ice cream cones, filling them no more than 3/4 full. Bake the cupcakes for 20-25 minutes or until the top of the cakes are risen, golden and spring back when lightly pressed. Allow the cakes to cool completely on a wire rack. When the cakes are completely cold, trim the tops with a sharp knife to make a flat surface.
- To make the buttercream, beat the soft butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract together until very light and fluffy, about 7-8 minutes. Using a piping bag fitted with a large open star nozzle, pipe swirls of buttercream on top of the cupcakes, creating a swirly ice cream effect. Finish the cupcakes off with coloured sprinkles, a chocolate flake or a marachino cherry!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 233mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.