Fluffy vanilla cupcakes with softly whipped Chantilly cream and topped with a fresh strawberry, these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes are perfect for a Summer tea party!
When I think of food that captures the meaning of British Summertime, strawberries and cream has to be high on the list. It’s an irresistible combination that conjures up thoughts of lazy Summer days, English country gardens, tea parties in the sunshine and of course, Wimbledon!
These strawberries and cream cupcakes are very simple to make, but they are an absolute dream to eat. They are the perfect Summer treat!
I first published this recipe way back in July 2011. Yes, back in the old days of blogging! I thought it was well overdue a little makeover!
how to make strawberries and cream cupcakes
**Exact ingredient amounts and detailed instructions are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post**
I’ve used my go to vanilla cupcake recipe for these cakes – it’s a very soft and fluffy sponge but it’s sturdy enough to hold the whipped cream filling without falling apart.
You start off by combining self raising flour, a little baking powder and cornflour together in a bowl. Cream soft butter and caster sugar together for at least 5 minutes until very light and fluffy.
Gradually add 3 large beaten eggs to the mixture. Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla bean paste or extract, then lightly fold in the dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
Spoon the mixture into a lined cupcake tin, then bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cakes are risen and golden. If the cakes spring back when lightly pressed, they’re ready!
Allow the cakes to completely cool on a wire rack before adding the strawberries and cream element!
Whip 300ml double cream, 1/2 tablespoon of icing sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract until soft peaks form. Lightly fold in 3 tablespoons of strawberry conserve. Spoon the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with an open star nozzle.
Using a sharp knife or an apple corer, remove a piece of sponge from the middle of each cupcake. Fill the hole with whipped cream, then place the little piece of cupcake you removed from the middle back in. Pipe a swirl of cream in the middle of each cake before finally topping with a fresh strawberry.
how long will these strawberries and cream cupcakes last?
Since they contain fresh cream, these cupcakes are best eaten on the day they are made. They should also be stored in the fridge to prevent the cream from spoiling.
want to see more cupcake recipes? check these out…..
More strawberry baking inspiration…
More fruity summer cupcake recipes from other food bloggers….
Strawberry Banocolate Muffins by Fab Food 4 All
Sugar Free Lemon and Blueberry Cupcakes by Tin and Thyme
Pimms Cupcakes by The Baking Explorer
Raspberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes by The Baking Explorer
Lemon and Blueberry Cupcakes by The Baking Explorer
Pin this recipe for later…
- 225g soft butter
- 225g caster (super fine) sugar
- 3 Large eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 25g Cornflour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
For the Filling and Topping:
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste or extract
- 300ml Double (Heavy) Cream
- 1/2 Tbsp Icing Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Strawberry Conserve
- 12 Fresh Strawberries for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 160C(fan)/180C/350F/gas mark 4 and line your muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and cornflour in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Using an freestanding or electric hand mixer (or a wooden spoon) cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy. Slowly beat in the eggs, one by one, beating well between each addition. Add the vanilla bean paste or extract.
- Add the flour mixture and fold in gently until you have a smooth batter.
- Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases, filling them two thirds full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until risen and golden. The cakes should spring back when you lightly press them with your finger.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cakes in their tins for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool. Once they have completely cooled, carefully make a small hole in the centre of each cupcake (I use an apple corer)
- Place the double cream in a medium bowl and add the icing sugar and vanilla bean paste/extract. Whip the cream to soft peaks. Lightly fold in the strawberry conserve. Place the cream in a piping bag fitted with an open star nozzle.
- Fill the middle of the cupcakes with whipped cream, then pipe a swirl of cream on the top of each cupcake. Top with a fresh strawberry.
Since these cupcakes contain fresh cream, they should be stored in the fridge to keep them fresh.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 12
Amount Per Serving Calories 222 Total Fat 17g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 87mg Sodium 378mg Carbohydrates 15g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Protein 4g