Juicy chunks of watermelon, salty feta, cooling mint and crunchy red onion make an addictive combo you can’t stop eating!
This week Britain is in the grip of a sweltering heatwave. Tomorrow is apparently set to be the hottest day of the year so far, with the temperature expected to reach up to 28C in most places. All I can say is thank god we have air con where I work!
I’m not the biggest fan of this weather. It’s not a popular opinion, I know. Don’t get me wrong – I love a bit of sunshine as much as anyone does, but if it gets too hot I tend to struggle a little. I’m very fair so I burn very very easily, and I can get pretty awful migraines if I don’t drink water constantly. I feel so bad complaining about the gorgeous weather – I wish I was one of those people who love to lie on the beach sunbathing (as if I would have the time anyway!) but I just can’t do it.
So this week you’ll be very likely to find me sitting in the nearest shaded spot, eating refreshing meals like this new potato salad with asparagus and radishes or this addictive watermelon, feta and mint salad. Hopefully sipping on an aperol spritz ?
This salad is adapted from a recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks – Forever Summer by Nigella. I know many people who make Nigella’s recipe to the letter and find it perfect, which it is. This is merely my take on a much loved recipe. Nigella’s version contains black olives which I am no fan of, but if you love them feel free to throw some in. I like to bulk the salad up with a little more greenery – I love the combination of baby spinach and rocket, but use whatever you prefer.
The salad keeps pretty well in the fridge for a good 2-3 days – the flavours will only get better if you leave it to chill out for a while. That’s if it lasts that long!
Pin me for later….
I’m sharing this salad with the following blog link ups…
Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad
- 1 small Red Onion
- Juice of one or two Limes
- 1 medium sized or half large Watermelon
- 200 g Feta Cheese
- 1 Bag mixed green salad leaves I often use baby spinach and rocket
- 1 Small bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Peel the onion and cut into very thin slices. Place the onion slices in a small bowl and squeeze over the juice of one lime, adding the juice of the second lime if you need to. The lime juice will make the onions a little more mellow and they will turn a pretty pink colour! Let the onions and lime juice get to know each other for a little while while you cut the watermelon and feta into chunks.
- Finely chop the mint leaves. Wash your salad leaves and place them in a large bowl with the mint.
- Tip the onions, along with the pinky juices over the salad leaves, then add the olive oil, watermelon and feta, tossing gently. Add a grinding of pepper and a little salt if you like, but just remember that feta is salty so I wouldn’t go overboard. Taste the salad to see if you want to add more lime juice. Now all you need to do is make yourself a cold drink, serve and enjoy!