This smoked mackerel and chickpea salad is one of the easiest salads you could ever make – it takes mere minutes to put together and is perfect for a super quick, nutritious and healthy meal.
I’ve been trying to find different, quick to prepare and healthy lunch ideas and this simple smoked mackerel and chickpea salad ticks all the boxes for me – it’s very simple to put together and all the flavours go together very well.
I absolutely love smoked mackerel – it’s so good for you and it’s ready to eat straight from the packet. It’s what I call real convenience food!
ingredients you’ll need to make this smoked mackerel and chickpea salad
(This is just a quick shopping list – keep scrolling to find recipe card with ingredient amounts and detailed instructions)
- Ready to eat smoked mackerel fillets. I like peppered mackerel, but the normal fillets or the sweet chilli kind work just as well here.
- A bag of mixed salad leaves.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Green Olives – if you aren’t a fan of olives, leave them out.
- Red onion, or you can use sliced spring onions if you like.
- A can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained.The chickpeas add great texture to the salad and provide a bit of “bite”. If you like, you could use a tin of Cannellini beans instead.
- Fresh Mint or Basil leaves
- Lemon – both the zest and juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
If you don’t fancy adding a certain ingredient, you can easily swap it for something else. This salad is pretty versatile!
For instance you could use chopped cucumber, radishes, or sliced avocado – anything you like!
More salad recipes for you to try
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought of it by leaving a comment below and if you would rate the recipe out of 5 by clicking on the stars in the recipe card, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
- 2 ready to eat smoked mackerel fillets
- One 400g tin chickpeas
- Finely grated zest of one lemon
- 1/2 a red onion, finely diced
- A large packet of mixed salad leaves
- 50 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50 g green pitted olives
- small handful fresh mint or basil leaves, torn
- Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- One tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of half a lemon
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add the lemon zest.
- Empty the salad leaves into a bowl and add the chickpeas.
- Tear the mackerel into chunks and add to the bowl along with the onion, tomatoes , green olives and basil/mint leaves.
- Mix the oil and lemon in a small bowl and add a good grinding of sea salt and black pepper. Pour over the salad and using your hands, mix to coat everything in the dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 322Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 618mgCarbohydrates: 85gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 20gSugar: 28gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 31g