This smoked mackerel and chickpea salad is one of the easiest salads I’ve ever made – all you need is a packet of ready to eat smoked mackerel fillets, a tin of chickpeas, salad leaves, cherry tomatoes and olives and a simple lemony dressing to bring it all together!
I’ve been trying to find different, quick to prepare and healthy lunch ideas and this salad ticks all the boxes for me – it’s very simple to put together and all the flavours go together very well.
I love smoked mackerel – it’s so good for you and it’s ready to eat straight from the packet. It’s what I call real convenience food!
This salad is pretty versatile – you can swap one ingredient for another if you like.
Not a fan of olives?
You could use chopped cucumber, radishes, or avocado to name a few.
Use your favourite salad leaves – I like a mixture of rocket and baby leaves.
The chickpeas add great texture to the salad and provide a bit of “bite”. If you like you could use Cannellini beans instead.
More salad recipes –
Pin this recipe for later…
Lemony chickpea and smoked mackerel salad
- One packet ready to eat smoked mackerel fillets
- One 400g tin chickpeas
- Finely grated zest of one lemon
- 1/2 a red onion finely diced
- A packet of mixed salad leaves - I used rocket and spinach
- 50 g cherry tomatoes halved
- 50 g green pitted olives
- small handful fresh mint or basil leaves torn
- Sea salt and pepper
- One tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- The juice of half a lemon
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add the lemon zest.
- Empty the salad leaves into a bowl and add the chickpeas.
- Tear the mackerel into chunks and add to the bowl along with the onion, tomatoes , green olives and basil/mint leaves.
- Mix the oil and lemon in a small bowl and add a good grinding of sea salt and black pepper. Pour over the salad and using your hands, mix to coat everything in the dressing.Serve immediately.