This smoked mackerel and chickpea salad is one of the easiest salads you could ever make – it’s takes mere minutes to put together and is perfect for a super quick, nutritious and healthy meal.
I’ve been trying to find different, quick to prepare and healthy lunch ideas and this simple smoked mackerel and chickpea salad ticks all the boxes for me – it’s very simple to put together and all the flavours go together very well.
I absolutely love smoked mackerel – it’s so good for you and it’s ready to eat straight from the packet. It’s what I call real convenience food!
ingredients you’ll need to make this smoked mackerel salad
- Ready to eat smoked mackerel fillets. I like peppered mackerel, but the normal fillets or the sweet chilli kind work just as well here.
- A bag of mixed salad leaves.
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Green Olives – if you aren’t a fan of olives, leave them out.
- Red onion, or you can use sliced spring onions if you like.
- A can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained.The chickpeas add great texture to the salad and provide a bit of “bite”. If you like, you could use a tin of Cannellini beans instead.
- Fresh Mint or Basil leaves
- Lemon – both the zest and juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
If you don’t fancy adding a certain ingredient, you can easily swap it for something else. This salad is pretty versatile!
For instance you could use chopped cucumber, radishes, or sliced avocado – anything you like!
More salad recipes for you to check out
Pin this recipe for later…
Did you make this smoked mackerel and chickpea salad? Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment below and if you would rate the recipe out of 5 by clicking on the stars in the recipe card, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Nutrition Information Yield 2 Serving Size 2
Amount Per Serving Calories 322 Total Fat 23g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 17g Cholesterol 33mg Sodium 618mg Carbohydrates 85g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 20g Sugar 28g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 31g