These ginger crunch bars are delicious but be warned – they are addictive! A buttery, crunchy shortbread base with a fudgy, sweet ginger topping.
This is probably one of the nicest traybakes/slices I’ve ever come across. But my opinion probably has something to do with the fact that I love ginger bakes in any shape or form.
If you are a fellow ginger fiend, you HAVE to make these. You will love them. There is ground ginger in the buttery shortbread base and a hefty amount in the icing/topping which adds a lovely spicy warmth to all that sweet golden syrup and icing sugar…heaven!
A word of warning….once you start eating these it is very hard to stop! They really are quite addictive.
The shortbREAD base
To make these delectable bars you start off by making a Shortbread base in the normal way – by creaming butter and caster sugar together before adding flour.
We are also adding a little baking powder and ground ginger.
Press the Shortbread dough into the baking tin as evenly as you can and bake until light golden.
Leave the base to cool for a while before making the topping.
The fudgy ginger topping
The topping is made by melting butter and golden (corn) syrup together before whisking in icing sugar and ground ginger.
The topping is poured over the cooled Shortbread base and left to set for an hour or so.
Sprinkle with choppped crystallised ginger or pistachio nuts before the icing sets, if you like!
looking for more recipes using ginger?
- FOR THE SHORTBREAD BASE
- 180g soft butter
- 125g caster (super fine) sugar
- 280g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- a pinch of salt
FOR THE GINGER TOPPING
- 180g butter
- 100g golden or corn syrup
- 375g icing sugar
- 6 tsp ground ginger
- 50g chopped crystallised ginger, or pistachio nuts to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350Fan/Gas mark 4. Grease and line the base of a 9x13inch (24x34cm) baking tin.
- To make the base, cream together the soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix the flour, baking powder, ground ginger and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter/sugar, mixing gently until you have a dough.
- Press the dough into the tin, levelling it out as evenly as possible using a spatula. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, until the shortbread is light golden. The centre will seem a little soft but will firm up on cooling. Set aside to cool.
- To make the topping, place the butter and golden syrup in a large pan and melt over a low heat. Sift the icing sugar and ground ginger into the pan and keeping the heat as low as possible, whisk until the mixture is really smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk again until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Pour the topping over the base and spread out evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle over the crystallised ginger or pistachio nuts and leave to set for 1-2 hours before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 344Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 192mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 2g