These spooky sausage mummies are a fun, easy savoury treat for a Halloween themed party – they take just 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Your trick or treaters will love them!
I wasn’t planning to post another Halloween recipe, but these sausage mummies went down so well in my house this weekend I felt I had to share them!
They would be ideal for a Halloween themed gathering – but if you’re expecting a crowd, you’ll probably need to double the recipe!
You just need four ingredients to make them and they are very easy – kitchen helpers of any age could make them!
This is basically a Halloween sausage roll, but they’re even easier to make than the regular kind. Like my meringue ghosts and gingerbread mummies, they definitely fall into the more cute than scary Halloween food category.
- sausages of your choice. Any sausages would work, so use whichever kind you like. Hot dogs/Frankfurters would also be perfect.
- sheet of chilled ready rolled puff pastry
- maple syrup or honey to stick on the eyes.
- edible candy eyes. You can find them in most large supermarkets, or online.
- These pastry wrapped sausages are good eaten hot or cold. Don’t expect them to hang around for long – they will disappear as soon as you serve them up!
- I served the sausage mummies with a spicy ketchup – which is very simply tomato ketchup and American yellow mustard mixed together.
- If you can’t find the edible eyes, you could use tiny pieces of cheese and cut up olives instead.
- I must warm you – some of the eyes will fall off, but applying a little pressure should help them to stick.
more halloween recipes
did you make this reciPe?
I hope you enjoyed it! Let me know what you thought of it by leaving a comment below and rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
- 6 sausages - I used pork sausages, but use whatever you prefer.
- 250g sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- edible candy eyes
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180Fan/400F. Line a large baking tray with foil and lightly grease with a little oil to prevent the sausages from sticking.
- On a lightly floured work surface, cut out six strips of pastry. They need to be long enough to wrap around the sausages, so you might need to roll them out a little bit longer.
- Prick the sausages a few times, then take a piece of the pastry and starting from the bottom, wrap it around a sausage, leaving a little gap at the top for the eyes.
- Bake the pastry wrapped sausages for 20 minutes, or until the sausages are cooked through and the pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven. Once the sausages have cooled slightly, attatch the eyes with a little of the maple syrup or honey, applying a little pressure so the eyes stick on.
These sausage mummies are best eaten just out of the oven.
If you can't find edible eyes, you could use little pieces of cut up cheese and olives.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 638mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.