This aubergine, mushroom and lentil chilli is the perfect Winter warmer!
If you’re looking for a recipe that will make you feel all warm and cosy (and aren’t we all in need of that right now) but full of goodness, then stop looking! This chilli is packed full of lentils, beans and veggies. It’s delicious and healthy!
I’m a big chilli fan and I can eat lots of this. I first made this recipe last March and it’s become one of my favourite recipes. I’ve got to say, as a meat eater, I don’t miss the meat one little bit. It’s hearty, chunky and full of flavour. In fact, I think I actually prefer this to a meat chilli.
I love to serve this chilli with sour cream and grated cheddar cheese but obviously use whatever accompaniments you like. The chilli itself is vegan so absolutely everyone can enjoy it.
I use dried chipotle chillies in this chilli. A chipotle chilli is a dried, smoked jalapeño. They have a rich, smoky flavour and a medium heat. I also use them in my beef chilli recipe I posted a few years back.
Most supermarkets stock chipotle chillies now but if you can’t get them, you can just use normal chilli powder instead.
I know the list of ingredients seem long, but it isn’t really – it’s just all the spices that make it seem that way.
This chilli keeps really well in the fridge for up to 3 days or you can freeze it for up to 4 months – I stash portions in those handy Chinese takeaway tubs.
If you’ve recently switched to a vegetarian/vegan diet, doing veganuary and looking for inspiration or, heck – you just love a decent chilli – I highly recommend you give this recipe a go. If you make it, let me know what you thought by leaving a comment below or you can contact me via my Facebook or Instagram.
This Aubergine, mushroom and lentil chilli recipe was published on the 3rd March 2018. Republished on the 5th January 2019 with new photographs.
Pin this recipe for later…
Looking for more dinner ideas?
Want to see more vegetarian recipes? Check these out…
I’m linking this recipe up to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Everyday Healthy Recipes.
Cook once eat twice, hosted by Searching For Spice
Aubergine, mushroom and lentil chilli
- One tbsp oil
- One large onion diced
- Two cloves garlic crushed
- One aubergine chopped into 3-4cm dice
- 1 red pepper, diced
- One 390g can green lentils rinsed well
- 30 g red lentils rinsed well
- One small tin of kidney beans roughly 200g
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- One dried chipotle chilli OR 1/2-1 tsp chilli powder soaked in just boiled water for 10-15 to rehydrate then chopped very finely OR 1/4- 1/2 tsp chilli powder, depending on your chilli tolerance level!
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 125 g mushrooms halved
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes or until the onions have softened. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, stirring. Stir in the ground cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander and the cinnamon stick. Stir for a couple of minutes to release the fragrance of the spices.Add the diced aubergine, red pepper, lentils, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and vegetable stock.
- Stir to combine, then pop on a lid and cook on a low heat for about 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms in the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Once you’re ready to eat, taste the chilli to check if you want to add any salt.
- Serve over rice or potato wedges and the usual accompaniments if you like – I love it with sweet potato wedges, grated cheese, sour cream and avocado.