Super simple and delicious, these rich and indulgent Chocolate Rum Truffles are a classic no bake Christmas treat! They make a fabulous gift for a dark chocolate lover.
These easy no bake chocolate rum truffles are absolute heaven for dark chocolate lovers.
They would make a fabulous homemade Christmas gift and are incredibly easy to make – all you need is six ingredients!
I love making homemade Christmas gifts – I’m not in any way a crafty person at all – my strengths lie in the kitchen!
the perfect homemade Christmas gift
why i love this chocolate rum truffle recipe
- They are incredibly easy to make – if you’ve never made chocolate truffles before, don’t be intimidated by them – they are very simple.
- They are a no bake treat – all you need to do is melt together chocolate and cream and stir in cake crumbs, a little icing sugar and rum – and that’s it!
- They make a lovely Christmas present for a dark chocolate fan.
the mincemeat filling
- Dark chocolate – the best quality you can find. I would recommend using a chocolate with between 50-70% cocoa solids.
- Double (heavy) cream
- Cocoa powder
- Icing Sugar – these truffles are pretty dark and rich, so I add a little icing sugar to take the edge off all that richness.
- Rum – the better quality of the rum, the better your truffles will taste! A spiced rum is especially nice and feels suitably festive.
- Chocolate Vermicelli or cocoa powder, for coating the truffles
commonly asked questions and tips
can i use a different alcohol?
Absolutely. You can swap the rum for whisky, brandy, a flavoured liquour such as Amaretto, or Baileys. an orange flavoured Liquour such as Cointreau.
what can i use instead of cake crumbs?
You can swap the cake crumbs for biscuit/cookie crumbs if you like – I’ve used digestive biscuits and ginger nuts in the past.
my truffle mixture is too soft to roll into balls
The chilling time isn’t a strict guide – it may take a little under or over an hour depending on how cold your fridge runs. Chill the truffle mixture until it has firmed up but is pliable enough to roll into balls.
When you’re melting the chocolate and cream together, don’t allow it to become too hot or it could separate. Keep the heat as low as possible and don’t to try rush it.
You will need quite a lot of chocolate vermicelli to coat the truffles – I used a whole 70g tub. You can use whatever sprinkles you like if you don’t have chocolate stands.
looking for more easy no bake recipes?
did you make this recipe?
I hope you love this recipe! Let me know what you thought of it by leaving a comment below and please rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 150ml double (heavy) cream
- 150g chocolate cake crumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons rum (or any other alcohol of your choice)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons icing (confectioner's) sugar
- chocolate vermicelli or 25g cocoa powder, for coating the truffles
- Place the chopped chocolate and double cream in a medium heavy based saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring every now and then. When the chocolate has almost completely melted, stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a heatproof mixing bowl. Allow to cool slightly for a few minutes before stirring in the cake crumbs, rum and icing sugar. The mixture will be quite soft at this stage.
- Cover the bowl and transfer to the fridge for about 1 hour or unti the mixture is firm but pliable enough to roll into balls. You might need to stir it a couple of times in case the mixture separates.
- Line a large plate with baking paper and place the chocolate vermicelli or cocoa powder on a small plate. When the mixture has firmed up, roll into walnut sized (or any size you like!) balls. Roll in the chocolate vermicelli or cocoa powder before placing on the plate. Place the truffles in the fridge to firm up.
You can swap the cake crumbs for biscuit crumbs if you like - digestives or ginger nuts work really well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 39mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.