These quick and simple Oat Biscuits are made with golden syrup for a delicious, sweet flavour that will have you reaching for “just one more!”
Leave them plain or dress them up by drizzling with melted chocolate!
These tasty oat biscuits are very quick and easy to throw together. Made from basic store cupboard ingredients, they are the perfect snack for hungry tummies!
These biscuits are also egg free (the golden syrup binds the mixture together) so they are the perfect thing to make if you or anyone in your family can’t eat eggs.
ingredients you’ll need to make oat biscuits
(Detailed instructions and ingredient amounts are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
Rolled Oats (NOT jumbo oats – if you use jumbo the biscuit dough won’t cohere together properly)
Caster (super fine) sugar
Self Raising Flour
how to make oat biscuits
Place the rolled oats and flour in a mixing bowl.
Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan.
Pour the melted butter and syrup over the oats and flour. Using a wooden spoon, mix well until you have a dough.
Roll walnut sized pieces of dough beween your hands. Place on a greased and lined baking tray.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the biscuits have set around the edges and are a light golden colour.
If you love the flavour of vanilla, add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the dough.
Drizzle the biscuits with melted milk or dark chocolate for a homemade take on a chocolate hobnob!
You could also add 25g of dried fruit such as raisins or cranberries.
These simple biscuits are just perfect with a cup of tea for an afternoon treat!
want to see more biscuit/cookie recipes? Check these out…..
I’ve linked this oat biscuit recipe to recipe of the week at amummytoo
pin this recipe for later…
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you thought of it by leaving a comment below and rate the recipe out of 5 by clicking on the stars.
This recipe was originally published 9th September, 2013. Republished 28th July, 2019 with new photographs and updated text.
- 150g Self Raising Flour
- 150g Caster (super fine) Sugar
- 150g Rolled Oats
- 150g Soft Butter
- 4 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F. Grease and line a large baking tray.
- Place the self raising flour in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and oats.
- Melt the butter, golden syrup and milk together in a medium saucepan.
- Once the mixture has melted, remove from the heat and pour over the oat and flour mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Using your hands, roll walnut sized pieces of the dough and place them on the baking tray, allowing 1 inch of space between each biscuit to allow for spreading.
- Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes or until they are beginning to turn light golden. The biscuits will still be quite soft in the middle so leave them on the trays for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
For Chocolate Oat Biscuits, Melt 100g dark or milk chocolate in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cold biscuits or dip the biscuits right in the chocolate for a thicker coating!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.