Looking for an easy, hassle free stuffing recipe you can make in advance? Look no further than these sausagemeat, sage and cranberry stuffing balls!
I believe that all the little “extra” side dishes make Christmas dinner truly exceptional, and stuffing is no exception. It just wouldn’t feel right without it!
I have 3 favourite recipes – Nigella Lawson’s amazing gingerbread stuffing, chestnut stuffing (recipe coming soon!) and this sausagemeat, sage and cranberry stuffing.
I’ve always been a fan of the sage and onion combination and when you throw sausagemeat into the mix, that’s pretty much my idea of heaven.
Cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in the form of ground allspice (not to be confused with mixed spice!) adds a little warmth and dried cranberries add a fruity festive touch.
I love the way the cranberries peek out of the stuffing balls, shining like little jewels. Perfect for your Christmas dinner!
make in advance
To make this stuffing ahead of time, simply make the stuffing mix up and roll into balls. Place the uncooked stuffing in an airtight container or dish wrapped in cling film and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. When you’re ready to cook the stuffing, remove the stuffing from the fridge for about 15 minutes or so before cooking. Make sure the stuffing is golden and piping hot before serving.
Not a fan of cranberries?
If cranberries aren’t your thing, then some chopped dried apricots would be a good alternative.
More Christmas dishes –
More delicious side dishes
Pin these sausagemeat, sage and cranberry stuffing balls for later…
- 25g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 450g good quality sausagemeat
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped sage, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g dried Cranberries
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- Good grinding of freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter and oil in a small pan. Add the onion and cook for about 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the ground allspice and cook for a further minute. Set aside to cool down a little.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180Fan/400F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausagemeat, egg, sage, breadcrumbs, cranberries, salt and pepper. Add the cooled onion mixture.
- Wet your hands (I find it so much easier to roll them if my hands are slightly wet) and roll the mixture into balls.
- Place the stuffing balls on a greased baking tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until cooked through, golden and piping hot.
If you prefer, you can make this stuffing in a greased 22cm baking tin for 40-45 minutes.
If making ahead, prepare the stuffing mix as directed, place into a sealable container and chill for up to 24 hours in advance.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g
Calories and Nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be used as a rough guide only.