This Candy Cane Hot Chocolate Mix would make a brilliant homemade Christmas gift for a mint chocolate fan! It takes minutes to make and is utterly delicious!
Can you believe we’re now in December?? I say it every year, but it’s crazy how fast it sneaks up on us!
It has turned very chilly here in the UK this week and I think we’re all in need of some comfort in the form of hot chocolate.
How does peppermint candy cane hot chocolate sound??
This peppermint flavoured Hot Chocolate Mix is so Christmassy. It takes mere minutes to make and keeps for months, although I strongly suspect it won’t last anywhere near that long!
It would make such a lovely homemade Christmas gift for a mint chocolate fan – maybe even with a bottle of Creme De Menthe for an extra special treat!
Ingredients You’ll need to make candy cane hot chocolate mix
(scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card to find detailed instructions and ingredient amounts!)
- Cocoa Powder or good quality drinking chocolate
- Icing Sugar
- Pinch of sea salt flakes – I love Maldon
- Dark or Milk Chocolate, finely chopped or grated
- Peppermint candy canes
How to make this hot chocolate mix
- Place your peppermint candy canes in a plastic zip lock bag.
- Using a rolling pin or similar heavy implement, bash them to smithereens.
- Place them in a large jar (or two small jars) with the cocoa powder, icing sugar, cornflour, salt and finely chopped chocolate.
- Place a lid on the jar and shake it like a Polaroid picture until the mixture is evenly dispersed.
- That’s all you have to do. Your hot chocolate mix is ready!
how to make hot chocolate for one using your chocolate mix
- Place 1/2 pint of milk in a saucepan. Stir in 3 Tablespoons of the candy cane hot chocolate mix and heat gently, whisking constantly.
- Pour into a mug or heatproof glass and serve with whipped cream, crushed candy canes or Christmas sprinkles, or both!
want to see more christmas recipes?
Pin this recipe for later
Did you make this candy cane hot chocolate mix? Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment below – don’t forget to rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card. Thanks!
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cornflour (Cornstarch)
- 3 Tablespoons Icing Sugar
- 100g Dark or Milk Chocolate, chopped or grated very finely
- A pinch of sea sea flakes
- 8 Peppermint Candy Canes, crushed to small pieces
To make Hot Chocolate for One:
- 1/2 Pint Milk
- 3 Heaped Tablespoons of Candy Cane Hot Chocolate Mix
- Whipped cream, crushed candy canes and Christmas sprinkles to serve
- Place all the ingredients in a jar, place a lid on tightly and shake very well to combine everything. That's all there is to it!
- To make Hot Chocolate, Pour 1/2 pint of milk in a saucepan. Add 3 heaped tablespoons of the hot chocolate mix. Heat the milk for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until hot, steaming and slightly thickened. Pour into a mug or a heatproof glass. Serve with Whipped Cream, crushed candy canes and Christmas Sprinkles.
The candy cane hot chocolate mix will make around 6-8 servings of hot chocolate.
It will keep well for several months in a cool dry place.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 158Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 6mgSodium 47mgCarbohydrates 26gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 18gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 3g