Chocolate Fudge Crinkle Cookies – these soft, chewy festive cookies are very simple to make and are sure to put a smile on anyone’s face! They are a perfect, easy recipe for holiday baking.
It’s December 1st and I have so many festive recipes to share with you over the next few weeks.
I’m kicking off the festive season with this classic Christmas recipe – chocolate fudge crinkle cookies.
If you’ve never tried them before, you really should! They are almost like a brownie in cookie form – crisp, chewy edges and soft in the middle.
I’ve given these chocolate cookies a little festive flavour by adding grated orange zest and cinnamon, but you can leave this out if you like. They are delicious either way!
These chocolate cookies might look quite plain, but honestly – they are SO good.
Christmas movies, a batch of these chocolate crinkle cookies and some peppermint hot chocolate – it doesn’t get better!
ingredient list for chocolate crinkle cookies
Room temperature eggs are best for this recipe.
Good old granulated sugar works just fine in these cookies.
You will need a flavourless oil like sunflower or vegetable. Mild olive oil would probably be fine too – but not extra virgin or any oil with a strong flavour.
orange zest and cinnamon
A little finely grated orange zest and cinnamon makes these cookies extra festive, but you don’t have to add them. A little mixed spice would also be good.
Plain (all purpose) flour
Using just a small amount of flour in these cookies a fudgy, almost brownie like exterior.
I used the Dutch processed cocoa powder Van Houten, but any other good quality cocoa powder would be fine.
Baking powder gives these cookies a little “ooomph!”
Adding just a little salt to the cookie dough enhances the flavour of the chocolate
The final flourish! Coating the cookies in a generous amount of icing sugar before baking gives a gorgeous, “crackle” like coating to the cookies. It looks so festive!
commonly asked questions
can i make these crinkle cookies without a mixer?
Yes! It’s easier to use an electric mixer, but you can use a mixing bowl and a sturdy wooden spoon instead.
do i have to make the cookie dough in advance?
I’m afraid so, yes. When initially made, the dough is very sticky and soft so you must chill it for an absolute minimum of 2 hours or ideally the day before you want to bake the cookies. I promise they are worth the wait.
The cookies will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
if you love christmas cookies check these recipes out!
- 160g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 medium eggs
- 160g granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable or sunflower oil
- grated zest of one clementine or satsuma (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60g icing sugar, for coating the cookies
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- n the bowl of a free standing mixer or using an electric hand mixer, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, oil, orange zest and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth. Fold in the dry ingredients until you have a soft, sticky dough. It will look more like cake batter at this stage, but that's exactly how it's supposed to be. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours (overnight is better.)
- When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas mark 4. Grease and line a couple of large baking sheets.
- Place the icing sugar in a shallow bowl. Using your hands, roll the cookie dough into walnut sized balls. Roll each piece of dough in the icing sugar and place on the lined baking sheets about 2 inches apart - there is no need to flatten them. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until set around the edges. They will still be quite soft in the middle but they will firm up as they cool. Once cooled, the cookies will be crisp around the edges and deliciously fudgy in the middle.
Nutrition InformationYield 15 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 105Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 22mgSodium 83mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 3g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.