This recipe for Chocolate Orange Millionaire’s Shortbread is the perfect treat for chocolate orange fans! A buttery orange shortbread base, a layer of orange caramel and a chocolate topping!
Chocolate orange is a very popular flavour combination in the UK and it’s often associated with Christmas time – which probably has a lot to do with many of us finding a Terry’s chocolate orange in the bottom of our Christmas stockings every year!
It just wouldn’t feel like Christmas day to me if I didn’t eat a chocolate orange for breakfast! While still in my festive pyjamas, of course.
In fact, I love Terry’s chocolate orange so much that it’s a wonder they ever hang around long enough for recipe testing. The sacrifices I make for you…..
If you love chocolate orange as much as I do – and going by the page views on my no bake chocolate orange cheesecake and chocolate orange traybake then I’m pretty sure that you do – then you’ll be desperate to give this recipe a go!
for the base:
- caster sugar
- finely grated zest of one orange
- plain (all purpose) flour
for the caramel:
- caster sugar
- Golden Syrup
- Condensed milk – not to be confused with evaporated
- orange extract
for the topping:
- Two Terry’s chocolate orange bars, or any orange flavoured chocolate. You can also use normal milk or dark chocolate if you prefer.
- Terry’s chocolate orange segments for decoration
I used my go to millionaire’s shortbread recipe – it works perfectly every time. Please see the post linked above for all my tips on how I make the best millionaire’s shortbread.
I’ve really gone for it with the orange flavour – there is orange zest in the shortbread base, orange extract in the caramel and even the chocolate topping is melted chocolate orange!
If you feel that’s a step too far, please feel free to omit the orange in either the shortbread or caramel.
looking for more chocolate orange recipes?
did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment below! Rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card.
share your pictures with me on instagram
Don’t forget to tag me so I can see them! I love to see what you’ve been making #sweetsavouryblog
- FOR THE SHORTBREAD BASE
- 150g soft butter
- 100g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of one orange
- 200g plain flour
FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING
- 1x397g can condensed milk
- 180g unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- 200g chocolate orange (I used two 100g Terry's chocolate orange bars)
- Chocolate orange segments for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line an 9x9 (23cm) inch square baking tin with baking paper, making sure the paper rises above the tin by a couple of inches so you can easily lift it out later.
- To make the shortbread, cream the butter, sugar and orange zest together with a wooden spoon until light and pale. Add the flour and gently mix it all together until you have a dough. You might need to get your hands in at this stage. Place the dough in the tin and press it out evenly so that it fills the tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until very light golden brown around the edges. Leave to cool slightly in the tin.
- For the caramel, place all the filling ingredients in a saucepan and place over a low to medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the sugar has dissolved competely, turn up the heat to medium high and bring the mixture to the boil, constantly stirring. Watch it very closely and try not to let the mixture catch on the base of the pan - if it does, little brown bits will start to appear. If this happens, turn the heat down to low-medium again and stir like mad. Keep stirring until the caramel has darkened slightly and is thicker. This should take around 8-12 minutes, but it depends on your hob, the pan you're using and the ingredients.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the cooled shortbread base and allow to set. Leave for at least an hour before adding the chocolate topping.
- Once the caramel has set, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Pour the chocolate all over the caramel, tilting the pan so you get an even covering. Leave for about 10 minutes before topping with the chocolate orange segments.
- When the chocolate has set, cut the millionaire's shortbread into squares,
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.