The combination of crunchy, buttery shortbread, smooth, rich caramel and melted chocolate is a wonderful thing. Follow my step by step guide on how to make perfect Millionaire’s Shortbread!
Very few people I know can resist a slice of Millionaire’s Shortbread, and I am one of them.
The combination of those different textures – crunchy, buttery shortbread, smooth, rich caramel and a melt in your mouth chocolate topping is simply irresistible.
You can buy delicious pre made caramel shortbread, but nothing beats home made!
(scroll to the bottom of the post for full printable recipe)
To make Millionaire’s shortbread, you will need:
- Soft Butter
- caster sugar
- plain flour
- a pinch of salt
the caramel layer:
- Condensed Milk
- Caster Sugar
- Golden Syrup
for the chocolate topping:
- Good quality milk or dark chocolate
step by step method
- For the shortbread base, cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Stir in the flour and salt and mix until you have a soft dough.
- Press into a lined 20cm square tin and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges.
- Leave the shortbread base to cool while you make the caramel layer.
- Place the condensed milk, sugar, butter and golden syrup in a medium pan over a low-medium heat. Stir until everything has melted together and the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the heat to medium-high and stir constantly until the caramel has darkened and looks slightly thicker. This usually takes between 5-8 minutes.
- Try not to overcook the caramel or it will set too firm.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the cooled shortbread base. Allow to set for at least one hour before adding the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate and pour over the set caramel base. Leave to set for an hour or two before cutting into slices. Trim the edges of the caramel shortbread for super neat slices if you like.
Storing Millionaire’s Shortbread
The caramel shortbread will keep well at room temperature in an airtight tin for up to 5 days. The caramel will become a little harder after day 3.
more traybake/bar recipes you might enjoy
- FOR THE SHORTBREAD BASE
- 100g soft butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
FOR THE CARAMEL FILLING
- 200g condensed milk (approx 1/2 a 397g can)
- 125g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
FOR THE CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- 250g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160C/140Fan/Gas 3. Grease and line an 8 (20cm) inch square baking tin with baking paper, making sure the paper rises above the tin by a couple of inches so you can easily lift it out later.
- To make the shortbread, cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until light and pale. Add the flour and gently mix it all together until you have a dough. You might need to get your hands in at this stage. Place the dough in the tin and press it out evenly so that it fills the tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Leave to cool in the tin.
- For the caramel, place all the filling ingredients in a saucepan and place over a medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- When the syugar has dissolved, turn up the heat to medium high and keep stirring. Watch it closely and try not to let the mixture catch - if it does, little brown bits will start to appear. If this happens, turn the heat down to low-medium again and stir like mad. Keep stirring until the caramel has darkened slightly and is thicker. This should take between 5-8 minutes depending on the heat source.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the cold shortbread base and allow to set. Leave for at least an hour before adding the chocolate topping. I often leave it overnight (no need to refrigerate)
- Once the caramel has set, melt the chocolate and pour it over the caramel. Using a rubber spatula, spread the chocolate out evenly so it covers the entire surface.
- Leave to set for a couple of hours before cutting into slices. Enjoy!
For salted caramel Millionaire's shortbread, add 1/2-1tsp of sea salt flakes to the cooled caramel. Sprinkle the melted chocolate with a few sea salt flakes, if desired.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 277Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 37mgSodium 121mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 21gProtein 3g