This lightly spiced Courgette (Zucchini) and Apple Loaf Cake is loaded with flavour! It makes a perfect snack for any time of day. It’s moist, delicious and keeps very well.
Have you ever tried baking with courgettes? Just like carrots, courgettes (or zucchini if you’re in the USA/Canada) add moisture and a great texture to cakes, muffins and quick loaf cakes such as this recipe.
If you’re a regular visitor here, you’ll probably have noticed that I’m quite a fan of loaf cakes! They are just so quick and easy to make! They are also perfect for packing into lunchboxes as well.
This courgette cake is moist, not too sweet and packed full of good things such as brown sugar, spices, diced apple, nuts and dried fruit. It’s a great recipe to try when you have a little glut of courgettes to use up!
It doesn’t take very long at all to make – it’s simply a case of mixing the wet and dry ingredients together.
It’s so simple to make you could few a few loaf cakes and freeze them – your future self will thank you for it!
ingredient list for this courgette (zucchini) and apple loaf cake
- Plain (all-purpose) Flour
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- soft light brown sugar
- Vegetable or Sunflower oil (any flavourless oil would work)
- vanilla extract
- Finely grated courgettes/zucchini
- chopped apples
- raisins or sultanas
- chopped pecans or walnuts (they add a lovely crunch and texture to this cake, but you don’t have to add them)
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling on top of the cake
commonly asked questions
how long does this courgette cake keep for?
If it doesn’t get eaten on the same day, this cake will last for up to 4-5 days in an airtight tin. I wrap the cake in a layer of baking paper and tin foil.
can this courgette cake be frozen?
Absolutely! Wrap the cake (or individual slices) in a suitable freezer bag for up to 3 months.
can i make this cake nut free?
If you have a nut allergy or aren’t a fan, you can absolutely skip the pecans/walnuts. You could swap them for a few more raisins or add chocolate chips instead!
did you make this courgette and apple loaf cake?
Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment below. If you have any questions regarding the recipe, I’m happy to help! You’ll find my contact details in my about me page.
If you’ve taken a picture of your courgette cake, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
more recipes to Use up courgettes
Chocolate Chip Courgette Muffins
more loaf cake recipes
Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Loaf Cake
Mary Berry’s mincemeat loaf cake
Coconut and Raspberry jam loaf cake
Courgette (Zucchini) and Apple Loaf Cake
This Courgette (Zucchini) and Apple Loaf Cake makes the perfect snack for any time of day. It's moist, delicious and keeps very well.
- 200g Plain (all-purpose) Flour
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fine Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 150g Soft light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125ml Vegetable or Sunflower Oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g grated Courgette (Zucchini)
- 75g raisins or sultanas
- 50g chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 7 pecan nuts for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas mark 4. Grease and line a 900g (2lb) Loaf tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- In another large bowl, beat together the brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir the flour mixture in the egg mixture, add the grated courgette, raisins or sultanas, nuts and apple and stir lightly until everything is well combined. Don't over mix.
- Scrape the batter into the tin, sprinkle with the demerara sugar and top with the whole walnuts or pecans. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until well risen and a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake emerges clean. Let the bread cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 3g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.
I made this loaf cake yesterday, it is absolutely delicious. It is the best cake with courgettes in that I have ever made, in fact I had given up making them as they were so disappointing. I had an apple and a courgette in the fridge, so I was tempted to make this recipe. It is full of texture and flavour and I will be making it again for sure,
Thank you Nikki
Cynthia in UK
I am so pleased you liked it Cynthia, thank you for letting me know! 😊