Nutella chocolate chip banana muffins – Soft, fluffy banana muffins with chocolate chips and Nutella swirls!
Post updated June 2019 by Nickki Thompson
Mmmmmmm, Nutella. How I love thee. There can’t be a sweet baked good in the world that couldn’t be improved with the addition of Nutella, don’t you think?
Bananas and Nutella are simply a match made in heaven. These Nutella swirled chocolate chip banana muffins are a perfect example!
My boys are huge banana muffin fans and adding chocolate chips and swirls of Nutella just takes them to another level.
Now my two eldest boys are in their teens, they literally eat me out of house and home! Keeping the food cupboard stocked with all their favourite snacks costs me a small fortune, especially in the Summer holidays! (Seriously, if anyone has any tips on how to keep teenage boys full up, let me know! Mine seem to have hollow legs!)
If supplies are running low and I have no time to pop to the shops, that’s when this recipe comes in very handy. I always seem to have a few speckled bananas sitting on the kitchen counter waiting for me to use them up.
If I know I’m not going to have time to bake with them that week I pop them in the freezer – just slip them out of their skins and place them in a freezer bag for future banana bakes or my banana and peanut butter smoothie.
Sometimes I make these muffins in my mini muffin tins and freeze them for another time – pop them in the microwave on the defrost setting for a minute or so and they’ll be perfect. This recipe will give you 24 mini muffins.
Want to see more banana bakes?
Pin this recipe for later…
I linked up these Nutella chocolate chip banana Nutella muffins to #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Glutarama
#BakingCrumbs, hosted this month by Jo’s Kitchen Larder
- 250 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 100 g Caster Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 125 ml Vegetable Oil
- 3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
- 100 g Chocolate Chips
- 80 g Nutella or other chocolate spread
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 12 hole muffin tin or two 12 hole mini muffin tin with liners
- Place the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of sofa and sugar in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Measure out the oil in a jug, add the vanilla and crack in the eggs. Stir to mix.
- Fold in the bananas and the chocolate chips, remembering that a light hand will give you light muffins.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, filling them halfway full. Place about a teaspoons worth of Nutella on top of the batter. Top with a little more muffin batter, making sure the Nutella is mostly covered. Place about another teaspoons worth of Nutella on top and using a table knife or skewer, lightly swirl the batter until you have a marbled effect.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until well risen and the muffins spring back when lighly pressed. Place a wire rack to cool. I highly recommend trying one while they are still slightly warm and the Nutella is still a little melty!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 325 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 58mg Carbohydrates: 43g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 22g Protein: 4g