I love it when you find a recipe that your kids will happily eat without whiningly pushing it to the side of the plate. Tonight I found such a recipe! Jamie Oliver came to the rescue – Pasta with creamy smoked bacon and pea sauce.
I didn’t have a great deal of food in the fridge but luckily I had all the ingredients to make this recipe – pasta (always have pasta – it’s a lifesaver at mealtimes), pancetta, frozen peas, fresh mint and Parmesan. The only thing I didn’t have was crème fraîche so I used double cream.
There was clean plates all around (aside from a few peas) which makes for a very happy Mum! I’d say this recipe was a success 🙂
Pasta with a creamy smoked bacon & pea sauce (adapted from Jamie Oliver)
400g Shell Pasta (of course you could use any pasta you wanted, but I think the shell variety works perfectly here)
1 packet of Pancetta Cubes
Small bunch of mint leaves
300g Frozen Peas
Around half a small tub double cream (you could use less if you like your pasta less creamy than I do)
Juice of half a Lemon
150g Grated Parmesan
cook your pasta according to the packet instructions.
• Get a large frying pan over a medium heat and add a good lug of olive oil and the butter.
• Add the pancetta cubes to the pan and fry until golden and crisp.
• Meanwhile, finely chop your mint leaves.
• As soon as the bacon is golden, add your frozen peas and give the pan a good shake.
• After a minute or so, add the cream and chopped mint to the bacon and peas.
• Drain the pasta in a colander over a large bowl, reserving some of the cooking water.
• Add the pasta to the frying pan.
• Halve your lemon and squeeze the juice over the pasta.
• When it’s all bubbling away nicely, remove from the heat.
• The sauce should be creamy and delicious but if it’s too thick for you, add a splash of the reserved cooking water to thin it out a bit.
• Add the grated Parmesan and stir.
Looking for a recipe?
Subscribe to Blog via Email
My recent posts