This Slow Cooker Hunters Chicken is the British version of the classic dish – tender, juicy chicken breasts wrapped in streaky bacon, smothered with a tangy homemade BBQ sauce and topped with melted cheese.
It’s very easy to make at home from scratch for a comforting family dinner everyone will love!
Hunters chicken is one of those fail safe family dinners I turn to often.
I always seem to have a packet of chicken fillets in the fridge or freezer and the sweet and smoky homemade BBQ sauce takes no longer than 5 minutes to make.
I only recently became a fan of making Hunters Chicken in the slow cooker – slow cooking the chicken makes it so juicy and tender.
If you don’t have a slow cooker though, no worries. It’s just as good made in the oven!
This is the British version of Hunters Chicken – bacon wrapped chicken fillets coated in a rich Barbecue sauce and topped with cheese.
It’s completely different to the Italian Hunter’s Chicken, which is chicken cooked with onions, garlic, tomatoes, rosemary and wine (Chicken Cacciatore)
ingredients you’ll need to make hunters chicken
(Scroll to the bottom of the post to find exact ingredient amounts!)
- Chicken Fillets
- Streaky Bacon. For a slightly lower in fat option, you can use bacon medallions instead.
- Cheddar or Mozzarella Cheese
for the homemade bbq sauce
- Tomato Ketchup
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Soft Light or Dark Brown Sugar (Dark sugar gives a lovely rich molasses flavour)
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Liquid Smoke (Optional, but really, really good!)
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Granules
- Onion Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
how to make hunters chicken in the slow cooker
(Scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card to read detailed instructions and ingredient amounts)
- Wrap streaky bacon around 4 large chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper and place in a preheated slow cooker.
- Cover with the BBQ sauce, then place the lid on and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 – 3 Hours or 6-7 hours on LOW.
- Once the chicken has fully cooked, remove from the slow cooker, transfer to an ovenproof dish and pour over the sauce (the sauce will be thinner from the chicken juices, so you might want to reduce it by simmering in a small saucepan for around 5 minutes or so.)
- Sprinkle the chicken and sauce with grated cheese and transfer to the grill for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
how to make hunters chicken in the oven
- Wrap Streaky bacon around 4 large chicken breasts. Season all over with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the bacon wrapped chicken in an oven proof dish.
- Pour over the BBQ sauce and bake at 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked the whole way though.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and return to the oven for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
what to serve with hunters chicken
You can’t beat Hunters Chicken with Creamy Mashed Potatoes – the combination of fluffy mash and sweet and tangy BBQ sauce is comfort food at its finest.
Hunters Chicken is equally as good with Sweet Potato wedges and greens such as roasted broccoli and green beans.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes? Check these out…
Want to see more comfort food classics?
Did you make this Slow Cooker Hunters Chicken? Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment – or if you have any questions or need any help, please don’t hesitate to message me.
If you loved the recipe, I would really appreciate it if you left a rating out of 5 by clicking on the stars in the recipe card. Thank you!
- 4 Large Chicken Breast Fillets
- 8 Rashers of Streaky Bacon
- Sea Salt Flakes and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 50G Grated Cheddar or Mozzarella Cheese
FOR THE BBQ SAUCE:
- 200G Tomato Ketchup
- 100ml Red Wine or Cider Vinegar
- 100G Soft light or dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Honey
- 1 Heaped Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Granules
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- Make the BBQ Sauce. Place all the ingredients for the sauce in a medium sized saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until the sauce is smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat your slow cooker (if necessary) Wrap 2 rashers of streaky bacon around each chicken fillet. Season the chicken with a small amount of salt and pepper and place them in the slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce over the bacon wrapped chicken. Place the lid on and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or LOW for 6-7 Hours.
- Once the chicken has fully cooked through, remove from the slow cooker and place in an overproof dish. The sauce will now be thinner from the chicken juices. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and simmer on a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes to thicken.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with grated cheese. Place under a hot grill for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 556 Total Fat 20g Saturated Fat 8g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 11g Cholesterol 133mg Sodium 1497mg Carbohydrates 42g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 36g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 46g