This Three Cheese and Ham Breakfast Casserole can be prepared ahead for an easy but indulgent weekend brunch.
If you often find yourself with a few extra people to feed over the weekend (as I often do as a Mother with teenagers!) then this cheesy breakfast casserole is a very handy recipe to have up your sleeve.
What is a breakfast casserole?
A breakfast casserole is a golden, puffy savoury treat with bread, eggs, sour or double cream and cheese. it’s also known as a Strata. It’s best made a good few hours ahead to allow the eggs to soak into the bread, which makes the casserole fluffy and irresistible.
I’ve added chunks of ham and some of those addictive Picquante peppers, although they are entirely optional. You could also add sliced mushrooms, courgettes, or sun dried tomatoes.
Ingredients you’ll need to make this three cheese and ham breakfast casserole
(Scroll to the bottom of this post to find ingredient amounts and detailed instructions)
- Stale Bread. Using good bread really makes a difference – mass produced supermarket bread won’t do here! I use a stale French stick, baguette or a Farmhouse loaf. If you’re buying a fresh loaf to make this, leave it out unopened overnight so it gets slightly stale.
- Dijon Mustard for a little kick
- Cheddar or Emmental Cheese, or a mixture of both!
- A ball of Mozzarella
- Grated Parmesan
- Sour Cream
- Diced Red Onion
- Cooked Ham (like my orange marmalade glazed gammon) cut into small pieces.
- Peppadew Piquante Peppers (Optional)
- Salt and Pepper
how to make this three cheese and ham casserole
- Place the bread slices in a buttered dish (the dish I use for this recipe measures 13×9 inches)
- Whisk the eggs, sour cream and mustard in a bowl or large jug until smooth, then add the cheddar cheese, parmesan and a little salt and pepper.
- Scatter the ham pieces, onion, peppers, and mozzarella over the bread. Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap or foil, transfer to the fridge and leave overnight or for at least 6 hours to allow the egg mixture to soak into the bread.
- When you’re ready to bake the casserole, remove from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas mark 4. Sprinkle the top of the casserole with cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden, puffy and set.
Can I reheat this breakfast casserole?
This cheese and ham casserole is best eaten on the day it’s made, but any leftovers will keep for the next day. Cover leftovers with foil and reheat in a suitable dish at 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas mark 4 for 30-40 minutes or until piping hot.
want to see more recipes for a weekend brunch?
Did you make this three cheese and ham breakfast casserole? Let me know what you thought of the recipe by leaving a comment below – and if you would rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card, I would be grateful. Thank you!
- 250G Stale Baguette or Good Farmhouse style bread, cut into small rounds
- 1 Red Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200G Cooked Ham, cut into small chunks
- 50G Sweet Picquante Peppers, diced
- 240G Ball Mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- 100ml Sour Cream
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 120G Cheddar or Emmental cheese, grated
- 75G Grated Parmesan cheese
- A little Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 25G Cheddar Cheese, for sprinkling over the top before baking
- Place the stale bread pieces in a buttered casserole dish approximately 9x13 inches.
- Scatter the red onion, ham chunks, peppers and mozzarella over the bread pieces. In a large jug or bowl, whisk together the sour cream, eggs and Dijon mustard until smooth. Stir in the grated cheddar/Emmental and Parmesan cheese. Season the eggs with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour the cheese/egg mixture over the bread pieces. Cover the casserole and place in the fridge overnight.
- When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat the oven to 180C/160Fan/350F/Gas Mark 4. Remove the casserole from the fridge, sprinkle with the 25g Cheddar cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden, puffy and piping hot.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 572Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 287mgSodium 1390mgCarbohydrates 31gNet Carbohydrates 0gFiber 1gSugar 5gSugar Alcohols 0gProtein 38g
Calories and Nutrition information are provided by a third-party application. They are to be used as an approximate guide only.