These Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas are one of the easiest dinners you could ever make – it’s the perfect recipe to turn to on busy week nights!
Get dinner ready and on the table for your hungry hoard in just under 20 minutes!
I’ve recently fallen in love with using my air fyer. It’s a massive time saver, not to mention much more cost effective than using the oven.
I’ve made air fryer roast potatoes, air fryer roasted chicken, crispy air fryer chicken wings with hot honey butter and potato wedges with great results, but this air fryer chicken fajita recipe is probably the easiest so far!
can you make chicken fajitas in an air fryer?
You absolutely can! Making chicken fajitas in the air fryer is such a game changer!
It couldn’t be easier and is so much faster than cooking the chicken and vegetables on the hob or in the oven. Once you’ve tried it, you won’t look back. I know I’m going to find it very hard to cook fajitas any other way again!
I would honestly say you get much better results cooking chicken fajitas in an air fryer – the chicken is golden and crisp yet SO juicy and tender inside – and the onions and peppers are slightly charred on the outside yet lovely and soft.
I can’t recommend this recipe highly enough. Need more convincing?….
ingredient list for air fryer chicken fajitas
Scroll to the end of the post to find printable recipe card with ingredient amounts and detailed instructions. Please have a read of the step by step before making this recipe!
- chicken breasts (fillets) I’m never without a packet of chicken breasts in my fridge – they form the base of many meals, like my chicken and chorizo pasta.
- red onion. I like the sweetness of a red onion, but feel free to use a regular brown onion instead.
- Bell peppers. Use whatever colour you prefer – some people can’t stand the green ones, but I don’t mind them in fajitas.
- Vegetable, sunflower or olive oil. You don’t need a lot of oil when using an air fryer – I found three tablespoons was just the right amount to coat the chicken and vegetables properly.
the fajita spice mix
I make my own fajita spice mix (pretty much the same blend of spices I use in my chicken fajita pasta recipe) but you could use a packet spice mix instead – I would never judge anyone for taking a convenient shortcut!
Here’s a list of the ingredients I use in my spice blend: (find the ingredient amounts in the recipe card at the bottom of the post)
- dried oregano
- onion salt
- garlic granules
- chilli powder
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- smoked paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
If you like spicy chicken recipes, then you might also love this recipe for chicken and chorizo Enchiladas!
how to make chicken fajitas in air fryer
- Add all of the spices to a small bowl and stir well to combine. Preheat the air fryer to 180C.
- Place the sliced chicken and vegetables in a large bowl. Add the spices and the oil and using your hands or a large spoon, mix well to combine, making sure all the chicken and vegetables are covered in the spices and oil.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the preheated air fryer. Cook for 15-18 minutes or until the chicken is golden, crisp and fully cooked with no trace of pink and the onions and peppers are soft and slightly charred.
- It’s a good idea to give the ingredients a stir about halfway through, just to make sure everything is cooking evenly.
how long do you cook chicken fajitas in air fryer?
Cooking time for chicken Fajitas is 15-18 minutes in an air fryer! As a busy working parent, I know how difficult it is to juggle ALL THE THINGS. The vast majority of us don’t have tons of spare time to make dinner on a busy week night.
We need fast, easy dinners that come together with zero hassle and that’s why you need this recipe in your life!
I tested this recipe four times and found 180C the perfect temperature. The vegetables got a little too crisp and charred cooking at a higher temperature.
After 18 minutes the chicken was perfectly cooked – golden and seared on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. The onions and peppers were soft but slightly charred on the outside, just like they should be.
COOKS TIP – Don’t slice the onions and peppers too thinly or they will cook much faster than the chicken and burn quickly.
can you double this recipe?
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t recommend doubling the recipe. If you add too many ingredients to the air fryer basket, the chicken and vegetables will steam and you won’t get that deliciously golden charred effect – not ideal!
I made this recipe using a 4.3 litre Tower Air Fryer. If your fryer is smaller, you’ll need to cook this recipe in two batches for the best results.
My family love this Fajita spiced chicken the classic way with flour or corn tortillas, shredded lettuce, tomato salsa, guacamole, grated cheese and sour cream.
make it ahead of time
To make in advance, combine the chicken, onions and peppers with the spices and oil. Cover the bowl or transfer to a tupperware box and store in the fridge for as long as the use by date on the packet of chicken.
storing leftover chicken fajitas
If you have any leftover chicken, place in a suitable tupperware box (fully cooled) and place in the fridge for up to 2 days. To reheat, air fry at 180C for 7-8 minutes or until piping hot.
more air fryer recipes
more chicken recipes
did you make this recipe?
I hope you love it as much as we do! I would love to hear how you got on with it. Leave a comment below or if you need any help with the recipe, please just ask!
- FOR THE SMOKY FAJITA SEASONING
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder (or 1/2 teaspoon hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 650g (about 3 large) chicken breasts, cut into equal size strips
- 2 medium (or 1 large) red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 green, yellow or orange bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable, sunflower or olive oil (not extra virgin)
- TO SERVE:
- 8 Flour or corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- grated cheese
- Tomato salsa (optional)
- sour cream
- Preheat the air fryer at 200C for 3-5 minutes (check the instructions on your machine as different models will vary.)
- Place all the ingredients for the fajita spice mix in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the sliced chicken, onions and peppers in a large bowl, Sprinkle over the spice mix, pour over the oil and using your hands or a large spoon, toss well until the chicken and vegetables are evenly coated in the fajita seasoning mix.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the air fryer. Turn the temperature down to 180C and cook for 15-18 minutes, checking and stirring halfway through. To check the chicken is cooked through, remove a piece and slice lengthways. There should be no traces of pink at all and the chicken should be golden and crisp on the outside and juicy and succulent on the inside. The onions and peppers should be soft and lightly charred.
- Serve with flour tortillas, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, salsa, jalapenos and sour cream (or anything you fancy!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 705Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 940mgCarbohydrates: 139gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 20g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.