These Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas are one of the easiest dinners you could ever make – it’s the perfect recipe to turn to on busy week nights!
Get dinner ready and on the table for your hungry hoard in just under 20 minutes!
I’ve recently fallen in love with using my air fyer. It’s a massive time saver, not to mention much more cost effective than using the oven.
can you make chicken fajitas in an air fryer?
You absolutely can! Making chicken fajitas in the air fryer is such a game changer!
It couldn’t be easier and is so much faster than cooking the chicken and vegetables on the hob or in the oven. Once you’ve tried it, you won’t look back. I know I’m going to find it very hard to cook fajitas any other way again!
I would honestly say you get much better results cooking chicken fajitas in an air fryer – the chicken is golden and crisp yet SO juicy and tender inside – and the onions and peppers are slightly charred on the outside yet lovely and soft.
I can’t recommend this recipe highly enough. Need more convincing?….
easy air fryer chicken fajita recipe
Cooking time for chicken fajitas is less than 20 minutes in an air fryer! As a busy working parent, I know how difficult it is to juggle ALL THE THINGS. The vast majority of us don’t have tons of spare time to make dinner on a busy week night.
We need fast, easy dinners that come together with zero hassle and that’s why you need this recipe in your life!
(scroll to the end of this post to find printable recipe card!)
- chicken breasts (fillets) I’m never without a packet of chicken breasts in my fridge – they are the base of many meals, like my chicken and chorizo pasta.
- red onion. I like the sweetness of a red onion, but feel free to use a regular white onion instead.
- Bell peppers. Use whatever colour you prefer – some people can’t stand the green ones, but I don’t mind them in fajitas.
- Vegetable, sunflower or olive oil. You don’t need a lot of oil when using an air fryer – I found three tablespoons was just the right amount to coat the chicken and vegetables properly.
the fajita spice mix
I make my own fajita spice mix (pretty much the same blend of spices I use in my chicken fajita pasta recipe) but you could use a packet spice mix instead – I’m not here to judge!
Here’s a list of the ingredients I use in my spice blend:
- dried oregano
- onion salt
- garlic granules
- chilli powder
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- smoked paprika
- freshly ground black pepper
If you like spicy chicken recipes, then you might also love this recipe for chicken and chorizo Enchiladas!
step by step method
- Add all of the spices to a small bowl and stir well to combine. Preheat the air fryer to 200C for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the sliced chicken and vegetables in a large bowl. Add the spices and the oil and using your hands or a large spoon, mix well to combine, making sure all the chicken and vegetables are covered in the spices and oil.
- Add the chicken and veggies to the preheated air fryer. Turn the air fryer temperature down to 180C and cook for 14-18 minutes or until the chicken is golden, crisp and fully cooked with no trace of pink and the onions and peppers are soft and slightly charred.
- It’s a good idea to give the ingredients a stir about halfway through, just to make sure everything is cooking evenly.
some tips for making air fryer chicken fajitas
I tested this recipe four times and found it was best to initially preheat the air fryer to 200C, then once you add the chicken turn the temperature down to 180C. I found the vegetables got a little too crisp and charred cooking at a higher temperature.
After 16-18 minutes the chicken was perfectly cooked – golden and seared on the outside and juicy and tender on the inside. The veggies were lovely soft but slightly charred on the outside, just like they should be.
Don’t slice the vegetables too thinly or they will cook much faster than the chicken and will end up burnt.
can you double this recipe?
Unfortunately I wouldn’t recommend doubling the recipe. If you add too many ingredients to the air fryer, the chicken and vegetables will steam and you won’t get that deliciously golden charred effect – not ideal!
I made this recipe using an 4.3 litre Tower Air Fryer. If your fryer is smaller, you’ll need to cook this recipe in two batches for best results.
My family love this Fajita spiced chicken the classic way with flour tortillas, shredded lettuce, tomato salsa, grated cheese and sour cream.
more chicken recipes
did you make this recipe?
I hope you love it as much as we do! I would love to hear how you got on with it. Leave a comment below or if you need any help with the recipe, please just ask!
- FOR THE SMOKY FAJITA SEASONING
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder (or 1/2 teaspoon hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 650g (about 3 large) chicken breasts, cut into equal size strips
- 2 medium (or 1 large) red onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 green, yellow or orange bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable, sunflower or olive oil (not extra virgin)
- TO SERVE:
- 8 Flour or corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- grated cheese
- Tomato salsa (optional)
- sour cream
- Preheat the air fryer at 200C for 3-5 minutes (check the instructions on your machine as different models will vary.)
- Place all the ingredients for the fajita spice mix in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Place the sliced chicken, onions and peppers in a large bowl, Sprinkle over the spice mix, pour over the oil and using your hands or a large spoon, toss well until the chicken and vegetables are evenly coated in the fajita seasoning mix.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the air fryer. Turn the temperature down to 180C and cook for 14-18 minutes, checking and stirring halfway through. To check the chicken is cooked through, remove a piece and slice lengthways. There should be no traces of pink at all and the chicken should be golden and crisp on the outside and juicy and succulent on the inside. Theonions and peppers should be soft and lightly charred.
- Serve with flour tortillas, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, salsa, jalapenos and sour cream (or anything you fancy!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 705Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 940mgCarbohydrates: 139gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 20g
Calories and nutritional information are provided by a third party application and should be viewed as indicative figures only.