Save time and washing up with this One Pot Chorizo and Pepper Rice. It’s perfect for a filling, economical family meal that takes just 30 minutes to make.
I can’t get enough of one pot meals. Less washing up in always a positive thing in my book! We all have enough to do as it is, right?
This one pot rice dish with spicy chorizo sausage, butter beans, onion, peppers and peas is a meal in itself – although some crusty or garlic bread would make a good accompaniment.
Ingredients you will need to make this one pot rice dish
(scroll to the bottom of the post to find printable recipe and detailed instructions)
- One onion
- 2 garlic cloves, or garlic paste from a tube or jar
- One red pepper. You use use any colour pepper you wish – I just prefer the red ones!
- Smoked paprika
- Dried oregano
- Mild chilli powder (optional)
- Chorizo sausage. Chorizo isn’t always the cheapest ingredient,but if you slice it quite thinly a little really goes a long way and it adds an amazing depth of flavour to so many dishes. I always try and keep some in the fridge – it can be used in countless ways.
- Long grain rice. I wouldn’t recommend the easy cook rice here – normal long grain is best. *Please note I used basmati rice for these pictures because it was all I had in the cupboard. While using basmati does work, long grain rice gives a better result.*
- Vegetable stock – I always use a cube or the little pots you can find pretty much everywhere.
- A tin of butter beans, or you can use a tin of chickpeas or cannellini beans instead if you like.
- A tin of chopped tomatoes
- Tomato ketchup (optional but adds a little sweetness)
- A handful of frozen peas. You could add some sweetcorn as well if you like.
looking for more easy dinner recipes?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed or 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 Red pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced into small dice
- 2 tsp smoked papkrika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp mild chilli powder (optional)
- 150g Chorizo sausage, sliced thinly
- 225g Long grain rice (not easy cook)
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 200g tin of butter beans
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a handful of frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan (that has a lid.) Add the diced onion and cook on a low-medium heat for about 5 minutes until soft but not browned. Add the crushed garlic and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the diced pepper. Sprinkle over the smoked paprika, dried oregano and chilli powder if using.
- Add the sliced chorizo and cook for two minutes. Add the rice, vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, butter beans and the tomato ketchup if using.
- Bring to the boil, then quickly turn the heat down to a slow simmer. Place a lid on the pan and cook for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. Give it a stir every now and then - you might need to add more stock if it seems dry.
- When the liquid has evaporated and the rice is soft, add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Instead of chorizo, you could add some smoked sausage.
You could also throw in a handful of spinach in the last few minutes of cooking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 1003mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 17g