This Slow Cooker Beef Curry couldn’t be easier to make and tastes so good – meltingly tender chunks of beef in a mild curry sauce. Serve with basmati rice, poppadoms and Naan bread for a low effort family meal.
I love a good curry and more often than not, I make them in my slow cooker. It’s just so easy and hands off. Maximum reward for minimum effort.
This recipe is an old Fashioned beef curry I’ve been making for years.
How hot is this beef curry?
This curry has a fairly mild heat. It has a kick but certainly isn’t blow your head off spicy.
Having said that, everyone’s heat tolerance is different so if you prefer a very mild curry, it would probably be wise to omit the fresh red chillies.
You could also stir in some natural yoghurt at the end of cooking time for a creamier curry.
ingredients you’ll need to make this slow cooker beef curry
(Printable Recipe in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!)
- Vegetable oil
- Lean Beef stewing steak, cut into cubes
- Plain Flour
- Fresh Ginger
- Fresh red chilli
- Red or Green bell pepper
- Ground Cumin
- Ground Coriander
- Ground Turmeric
- Garam Masala
- Beef Stock
- Canned chopped Tomatoes
- Mango Chutney
want to see more curry recipes?
Chickpea and potato curry (vegan and gluten free)
looking for more slow cooker recipes?
Did you make this recipe? Let us know what you thought! Leave a comment below or get in touch with me via Instagram or Facebook.
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 750g Lean stewing/casserole beef, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 Large onions, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- a thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1-2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 red or green bell pepper, deseeded and roughly diced into chunks
- 150ml beef stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- Chopped fresh coriander for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cumin, coriander, turmeric and salt. Toss the beef chunks in the spiced flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. Add the diced onion and cook for five minutes on a low-medium heat. Add the crushed garlic, ginger, fresh chilli and bell pepper and continue to cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally until softened but not browned.
- Tip in the seasoned beef chunks (you will probably have to do this in batches so the beef browns properly), turn up the heat and brown quickly on all sides.
- When all the beef has browned nicely, add the beef stock, chopped tomatoes and mango chutney. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring all the time, then quickly transfer to the slow cooker.
- Put the lid on and cook on LOW for 7-10 hours. 30 minutes before serving, stir in the Garam Masala.
- Serve the curry with rice, Naan bread and poppadoms.
For a creamy sauce, stir in 150ml natural yoghurt in the last 30 minutes cooking time.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 782mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 5gSugar: 13gProtein: 10g